Talent?

Small motor coordination is probably inherited as well (remember, I'm talking about the physical components of natural talent, not about genius, which appears to be beyond physical explanations).

Nobody ever questions the notion that the physical components of athletic talent can be inherited. Let's take Larry Bird as an example, for those who remember him and the glory years of the great Celtics-Lakers rivalry. His height was obviously inherited. So was his eye-hand coordination, though he worked relentlessly to develop his shooting to near perfection. Compared to many NBA players, he wasn't all that talented. He wasn't a fast runner. Or a great jumper. But he had freakish peripheral vision. He often seemed to have eyes in the back of his head. Surely this was inherited. But what about his mental toughness? He was one of the greatest clutch players in history. The guy just never choked, no matter how much pressure he was under. Was that inherited?

So with art, I think it's all about things that can't be quantified. It's what goes on inside your head that counts.

But without the physical abilities required to translate what's in your head into an outstanding work outside it, you will get nowhere. Those physical abilities are the components of natural talent, and some people simply have more of it than others.

Can intelligence be inherited?
I think so - have you ever looked into a child's eyes and known with certainty that you are looking at someone that is seriously bright.

I think you can certainly inherit some ability of creativity from parents but that can fizzle into nothing if you dont have the opportunities and support from people that are around you, like parents, teachers, partners to take it to the next level.

I know of no one who has ever said talent alone is enough.

Having your brain wired a certain way is the same thing as having natural talent. You're born with it. You can't take any credit for it-- only for the hard work and discipline it takes to go beyond just having it.

I think so - have you ever looked into a child's eyes and known with certainty that you are looking at someone that is seriously bright.

Yes, and not just with kids. You don't even have to see the person in person. A good color photograph will do.

I know that some people are just born with "it." But yes, those people that make that "it" a success are definitely not lazy bums. They work hard for it. but some things come easier for some than others, that's just a fact. My brother was born a Brainiac for math and science, but a lot of things lead him astray. My dad was as dumb as a rock, but he was good at math. Did my brother inherit that? I have no idea because my dad wasn't that good at math.

My dad also played the drums (I didn't find that out until I was playing for over a year already). Well, he was terrible. No rhythm whatsoever. He enjoyed himself, and that's all that mattered. Why I had talent for music, I don't know, but I was good. I practiced my ass off, but I had something inherent too. I can't explain it. It's a deep thing. Can't put it into words.

That doesn't mean I didn't work hard.

My first drum teacher was one of the best players on earth, but he decided meth was a better road. Wasted talent. It is sad. He didn't even need to practice. He'd pick up any instrument and KNOW how to play it. Natural born talent. I saw it with my own eyes. No hard work necessary, and obviously no desire to be successful.

Yes, some people are musically gifted, and when you see that firsthand it is an amazing thing to witness.

Yes your right, I wonder how you could define what that was exactly in words.

No, I can't. I'm not sure what it is. I have photos of a few friends who are highly intelligent and you can see it in their eyes, but don't feel free to post them anywhere on the net.

No, I can't. I'm not sure what it is. I have photos of a few friends who are highly intelligent and you can see it in their eyes, but don't feel free to post them anywhere on the net.

Never mind, I'll help out:

1590339351_54594.jpg

Clearly a genius. :)

What does that mean? Surely not passed on ... Elvis and his daughter Lisa .. yet, one cannot generalize .. maybe some get some genes and others don't .. too big for my little mind to understand ..

I think genetics are only the foundations, I'm sure there are millions of talented people that were never guided or encouraged to use that talent and some that don't even care they're talented. To some it's a godsend and to others a curse.

I think genetics are only the foundations, I'm sure there are millions of talented people that were never guided or encouraged to use that talent and some that don't even care they're talented. To some it's a godsend and to others a curse.

I think this is true. I think you can have a predisposition, but it still would need to be nurtured, at least a little depending on how much of a predisposition you had to begin with.

What does that mean? Surely not passed on ... Elvis and his daughter Lisa .. yet, one cannot generalize .. maybe some get some genes and others don't .. too big for my little mind to understand ..

Not always passed on. She at least has some musical talent though. She writes her own songs.

Back