Storage Issues

My former studio mate, Deron, just called to tell me he knew where I might find some studio space. When I asked him where he gives me the address of the studio we just left. Without skipping a beat I asked, him "What did he do now?!" It seems our old crazy partner has already driven out the two new tenants. :oops: 😄 I can't imagine the landlord putting up with him much longer. We might then suggest that we are interested in a portion of the space. But that will be definitely down the road... after this pandemic etc...

Any of you have storage issues?

For the last year, I moved all my unsold work into a temperature-controlled storage facility. Sounds expensive, but it was quite a large space for $200 a month--and it's a brand new, very secure, place, and that's temperature controlled (big deal). I have at least 250 pieces in there between 20 x 20 inches to 40 x 60 inches, plus my collection of other people's work--maybe 30 pieces. It's a lot of stuff that takes up the whole 10 x 20 foot space. Most everything is on those big industrial shelves. My drums are there too--inside of a big rolling anvil (flight) coffin.

Well, now I really need to save money and I'm going to bring it all here to my garage. The garage is finished here (dry walled and clean, aside from the big electric door). That's a $2400 savings a year. It's going to be a major pain in the ass to move it all. It was a major pain in the ass to move it to the storage place, but it was also a pain in the ass to move--period. The whole thing was so traumatic that it made me not want to paint on canvases or panels ever again because of all the space I need for storage. However, I have painted on a few since I've lived here. I guess I can't not do it, but I feel terrible about it, like I'm making more "stuff" that will take up SPACE!

Do any of you have this issue?
I also have a storage space with paintings sitting in there with some furniture . My last show was ten years ago. I also question myself why do I still paint. But like you, I can’t help it. I guess that’s how it goes. I used to have paintings in a gallery and group shows. That is when I painted portraits of interiors with women. Those sold. Now that my style has changed, my rabbits don’t seem to attract buyers. I really don’t know why I still do it. They are clean and wrapped. I have decided to have a show next year. Not sure how to go about it but I’ll get out of my shell.

I also have a storage space with paintings sitting in there with some furniture . My last show was ten years ago. I also question myself why do I still paint. But like you, I can’t help it. I guess that’s how it goes. I used to have paintings in a gallery and group shows. That is when I painted portraits of interiors with women. Those sold. Now that my style has changed, my rabbits don’t seem to attract buyers. I really don’t know why I still do it. They are clean and wrapped. I have decided to have a show next year. Not sure how to go about it but I’ll get out of my shell.

That would be great if you had a show! Please keep us all updated. I would so love that for you. And to see all those works hung together would be amazing! ❤

We paint because , we must... It is a living part of our soul.
and, yes, I too rent a room ... have a storage full ... too full...and do think about this same issue.. I think in a short time I will simply give away some of my favorite art to my favorite people... Now am painting smaller. Giving the gift of art appreciation to the younger generation is so important.
We do treasure our art and antiques.
IMGP0069.JPG
IMGP0069.JPG

Back