Soft pastel help needed

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Contributing Member
I have experimented with soft pastel over acrylic on an artists board. And darn it all I like my Warrior Self Portrait. Have tried mat fixative spray and it's working about 70% used 'glass' fixative that was discussed earlier. That partially works too.

I am feeling like I'll run out of both supplies before I finish it. So, was wondering if there are other options.

Jennie
IMG_20230509_084957_1-01.jpeg

Can't understand what you're doing. If you're mixing all kinds of fixatives, don't expect good results. It sounds as though you're trying for a "workable" fixative routine, that is, spraying to stabilize and allow more layers on top.

Pastel over acrylic is not any problem at all. Only issue is whether your acrylic underpainting had enough visible or invisible tooth to hold your pastel layers. If you didn't have enough tooth, then successive layers won't stick well if at all.

Have used the usual "workable" and "final" fixatives with the usual results and problems.

The exception has been the Spectrafix line, starting with their Degas products and their newer Natural Glass. These are different because they are casein (milk protein) based and water soluble, unlike all the other brands. They are best used in several light mists (not sprayings). And once you have stabilized the hell out of the painting using them, you'll know because you can't readily wipe pastel onto your finger anymore. At that point you could try actually brushing on full strength Natural Glass as a varnish, but never before you can't lift stabilized pastel with your finger. (I have done that with watercolors with spectacularly good results, but be aware that Natural Glass is water based and will lift/liquify any stray pastel power, just like watercolor.) I don't know if you can use Natural Glass as a workable fixative during your painting, however, but I believe the Degas line may have a workable version.

I have no idea what happens when you try to use casein based fixatives over the other kinds. That may be a problem. Nor the reverse for that matter.

Thank you! Your reply is very helpful.

I think there is enough tooth for pastels to catch. I used the general purpose spray fixative to fix as I worked up the base. Then used the natural glass when I had done a detailed layer. As I'm not too experienced with pastel, I think I was probably being too cautious. Will try again.

JennieJo, I have no idea if Natural Glass can be used as a workable fixative, which sounds like what you're trying. Della at Spectrafix will answer emails if you ask her.

Back