Snowy Fields

Donna T

The first one is my attempt at trees (willows?) that hang onto their yellow leaves all winter. The second one came out better I think. Acrylic on gessoed watercolor paper. 6x6 in.

IMG_3262pscs.jpg

IMG_3271pscs.jpg

Hi Donna,
Both nice but I think the first is hands down the winner .. I like the cold with hints of warmth .. just like a warm winter day.

I have to agree with Wayne. That first one is just super. Looks like many of the scenes around here. ❤️❤️

I think both of these are wonderful. I love the cool winter colours and I love the vegetation poking through the snow.

Both are lovely but my favourite is the first one too.
Cheers,
Patricia

Both of them are stunners, Donna. The blue hillside makes the willow pop all the more. I even notice a drifting effect with the snow.

Wayne, thank you. I guess the warm/cold contrast worked.

Sno, many thanks.

Kay, thanks very much. I tried not to overdo it with the weeds.

Patrick, thanks and I checked out Jean LeGassick’s work. It’s so good! I love the way she uses texture.

Patricia, thank you.

Ole Kobe, I was hoping the snow would look somewhat believable. Thanks.

I wish the photo of the second one looked a little less saturated. I had a hard time getting a decent photo even though the light was good today.

Donna, these are beautiful! The composition of the first one is, I think, slightly stronger than the second. The second one is brighter and more vivid. Each one is just lovely, and the snow and texture is wonderful in them. I love your work!! ❤️

These have a lovely winter feel Donna, but the first has the edge for me.(y)

Like them both very much, Donna. But to my taste (and we all know the trap of "taste") the first one is more appealing.

Both are super. The first is my pick as well. Have you done that scene in pastel? (You know me and pastel)

These are stunning little paintings and would look amazing on anyone's wall. I didn't know that you could do that with watercolour paper - interesting. What are you using to paint with just out of interest?

Donna - I think they're both fabulous, but I'll be the odd one out and say I prefer the second. I love its blockiness, the play of the cloud shapes that echo down in the hints of the grass, and I like the foreground texture more than in the first. (But I do also really, really like the first one!). Great work.

Terri, thanks for such an enthusiastic comment. I agree the first one does have a better comp but it was also an excuse to push white snowy paint around and pushing paint is fun when you're used to dry pastels. 😊

Thanks Arnie.

Bart, I guess the first one appeals a little more because it has depth?

Hi Jo - I haven't done the first one in pastel but doing leafless trees might be easier in pastel now that you mention it. Acrylic paint gets gloppy too fast and gloppy branches are not good!

Katie, thanks so much. I've been using a beat up bristle brush to paint with, or more accurately to scrub the paint on with. Maybe it's because I'm used to building thin layers with pastels. I used an old credit card to apply the foreground snow in the second one. I liked the effect.

Triss, thank you. I'm glad the second one got your vote. I was trying to keep it simple and liked those blocky shapes too.

Thank you Susan.

I love them both, but the first one has a stronger composition.
I am fascinated that you seem to be able to get a pastel painting look with acrylics.
Acrylics are so much easier to handle afterwards.

Beautiful paintings. I love the balance of warm and cool colours. Very atmospheric.

Many thanks Arty, Esther and Claudia. Esther, I am enjoying the dust-free qualities of acrylics for now.

Back