Self taught

N

Nufocus

Never went to art classes and/or art schools. At university I majored in economics and business and took additional courses in art history. I have to admit that I had known practically everything that those art history courses contained beforehand because I have been interested in art history, beginning with ancient Egypt and on from there, all my life. My late dad painted when he had time for it and did utter a few relevant sentences, such as “don’t be afraid to make your marks in whichever way you feel” or “this one is done, sign it and walk away”.

My late dad painted when he had time for it and did utter a few relevant sentences, such as “don’t be afraid to make your marks in whichever way you feel”

That is great advice to have from the get-go. :)

I also didn't have any training, not even in public school growing up because I hardly went, which is a long story as to why. I went to a lot of museums though from a teenager on though and read about some art history in my early adulthood. Then there was Sister Wendy on PBS too! :)

In my early 20s, I met an artist. He was really a master artist. Highly skilled and basically a genius-artistically, that is, as was much older than me. I started hanging out with him for some years and, while he never taught me anything hands-on as far as art, he mentored me in terms of being a committed artist and seeing art as the most important thing in the universe. He was hard on me and even though he made me cry several times a week, I look back and thank him now for pushing me to my limits to always try harder to carry on as a full-time artist. He influenced me to stay true to my work, not doubt what I was doing, and made me make sacrifices I may not have done otherwise. Unfortunately, he was a bit of a sociopath though. No joke. But I still am glad he was in my life.

As for showing examples of very early works of mine like other members did, I can’t find any.... Sorry.... The reason: moving from country to country several times over.... things get lost....

Well, at least you've been showing a lot of your ongoing work for several years and it's been a joy to look at it.

Self taught through books and internet. I think my deepest learning came from viewing paintings on line. I viewed a lot of Russian art work after I was finished with the Group of Seven. Been to a few museums as well. My first painting consisted of a white v in a blue sky. Thought it was great. A seagull in all its glory. It's a wonder how we delude ourselves.

I have no formal training but have been trained through books and Internet too. My Mother was an artist so I suppose I inherited a bit of natural talent. My older brother could sketch beautifully but was not interested and turned out to be a fantastic gunsmith. He could also pick up any instrument and play by ear with no previous practice. My younger brother is great at woodwork and carving, so I guess Mom scattered some of her creativeness among us. :giggle:

I'm self-taught. I also may have inherited a bit of talent from my grandmother who loved to paint with oils in her kitchen. My mother could paint and was a talented restorer of ornaments/sculpture/antiques etc. I dont know, but I know that once I felt bitten by the bug of painting I went at it like I was possessed. My success came in another country Dubai, in the Middle East, that's where it all happened for me, and so it was a shame to leave all that success behind when I had to leave. In the weeks before I left I was approached to quote for artwork for a brand new hotel Urgh!!! this was something that I had aspired to the whole time I was there! Oh well, that's life I guess. :giggle:

I'm self-taught. I also may have inherited a bit of talent from my grandmother who loved to paint with oils in her kitchen. My mother could paint and was a talented restorer of ornaments/sculpture/antiques etc. I dont know, but I know that once I felt bitten by the bug of painting I went at it like I was possessed. My success came in another country Dubai, in the Middle East, that's where it all happened for me, and so it was a shame to leave all that success behind when I had to leave. In the weeks before I left I was approached to quote for artwork for a brand new hotel Urgh!!! this was something that I had aspired to the whole time I was there! Oh well, that's life I guess. :giggle:
But glad you had the success while you were there.

No formal training, always drawing as a kid. I joined a forum to learn what I needed regarding technical stuff and went from there. I was lucky that the forum I joined had some very good artists and I learned quite a bit. Then I visited galleries while travelling and picked up more knowledge. I'm still a novice, but now and again I produce something decent.

No formal training and no interest in painting except to look at until I had a motorbike accident and couldn't walk for a while. At the time I was living in a small house with no electricity and well water🙂. Having read the available books and being bored stupid I found some watercolours and started painting - got the 'don't give up the day job' line from friends🤣unsuprisingly but was hooked and have now been painting for around 25 years.

No formal training and no interest in painting except to look at until I had a motorbike accident and couldn't walk for a while. At the time I was living in a small house with no electricity and well water🙂. Having read the available books and being bored stupid I found some watercolours and started painting - got the 'don't give up the day job' line from friends🤣unsuprisingly but was hooked and have now been painting for around 25 years.

Wow, your parents allowed you to own a motorbike at the age of 10? :giggle:

Mostly self taught, but take community classes sometimes and used to belong to a crit group.

Also have other artists in the family who crit and help me.

I always drew and colored, inheriting a bit of talent from my Dad. When I got to high school, my Dad bought me Craftint oil paints. That was around 1974, and I still have many of them, plus my sketch/paint box. I have taken one oil painting class in a community setting. All else I've learned from books and tv shows. We didn't have youtube back then.

If one has seen examples of my art it is obvious I have no formal training. I would be reluctant to say I was self-taught though. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is my inability to learn formal skills (not just in the realm of art) that generates the work.

Iain, I wouldn't go that far to say that. You have a lot of creative skill, which in my book is as important as technical skill. However, I don't know what your technical skill level is, nor would it even matter to me. That doesn't make or break an artist. Your drawings are pretty outstanding and inventive. They persuade me as a viewer and make leave me wanting more. I've seen art with superb technical skill that hasn't even come close to having this same effect.

Back