Scavenger Hunt from Life #19: Apr 4 - Apr 12

We came back from the beach vacation to our home yesterday and back to hectic work day... So this evening we were trying out a new food place in our neighborhood converted from a shrimp farm.... done in directwatercolor
#5 roof-line ... the roofs of those Thai thatch huts

h19_cafe_a.jpg

h19_cafe_b.jpg

you have done wonderful works, Ai, Joan watercolor masterpiece,Ai, very inspired work, rejuvenating vacation

sue, Jo, Eyepaint, beautiful works

EP: Fantastic colorful sketches. Love the markers in the holder, and teabags.

Jo: Thank you. I love your seating bench sketch than the real photo. Nice roofline, door way, spring, and the challenging eye glasses.

Sue: Thanks. What a spring color splash bowl. Beautiful spiral staircase and elegance roofline.

Joe1: Thanks. Fun small herb in the bowl and the hat with buckle sketch.

Nice sketches Joan. Your paper bag challenge sounds interesting.

Ai, nice simplification. Your bottles came out fine. I like your harbour scene too.

Sue, love your rooftops and stairs. Nice digital too.

Jo, nice pen sketches.

Ep, good choices and well done.

Ai, I like your thatches roofs. It looks like a delightful place to dine.

Joe1, your basil looks delicious. Good job on the hat.

Ai - lovely sketch of the beach. Hooray for a horse ride on the beach! Yahoo for the bottles on the shelf behind the cashier! Love the grass roofs on the seating area (post 21). Thank you
Joe - oooh a clementine!
Joan - ooh lovely stone chimney and the foliate (post #8) Yahoo spherical! Great daffs! If you were an ant maybe you'd look up at the daffs?
Jo - fantastic sketches from the PT place!
Sue - great collection of roofs
joe1lt - thank you. Mmm basil :)
Anne - thank you

Sue, love the springy-looking bowl of bulbs! Nice work with the digital sketch.

Jo, thanks so much. Love your roof line and the ceiling vents and hanging light. I can put on the sunglasses and go out to check the dandelions. Fun sketches!

EP, love the sketch of the pile of teabags and the pair of scissors. Glad you have many containers too, like me! Thanks for your comments. You make me laugh.

Ai, you have such interesting restaurants and cafes to sketch!

Joe 1, thanks. I like your bowl of basil. Soon it will be warm enough and I can get a few herb plants for my patio. A basil plant will definitely be included. Nice hat sketch!

Anne, thank you.

I went down by the water today and was determined to do the challenge of sketching the view in all 4 directions. It was very windy so I sat in my mobile studio to sketch.
7 - what was in front of me - watercolors
IMG_9855.jpeg

Then I turned my body 90 degrees to the right and looked out the window on the right side of the car. I was facing another car in the parking lot and the buildings at the beach that house the restrooms and restaurant. Done in watercolors and ink.

IMG_9856.jpeg

I turned 90 degrees to my left and sketched out that window. There was a parked truck (dimensions are wonky) and some shrubbery.

IMG_9857.jpeg

To do the view behind me I actually turned the car around so that it was in the reverse position facing out of the space. Again there was another car and some shrubs and grasses.

IMG_9858.jpeg

Last edited:
EP, great containers. Clever pile of tea bags. The scissors look like I could pick them up and use them.

Ai, I love your restaurant sketch. Thanks for the photos and sharing your world with us.

joe1lt, mmmm, basil. Something Italian on the menu? Great hat, my daughter would like that one.

Joan, how fun your challenge. It has been windy here as well. Nice you could turn your car around (you found a swivel chair!) I like the way you draw cars. So hard for me. You get some nice dark colors with your watercolors.

Thanks all for the kind remarks. I will try to sketch tomorrow. I should sketch at the restaurant that we go to, lots of "stuff" in there. I'm always too busy eating! It is the Bastrop Roadhouse or the Paige Roadhouse. Not a chain. Just two locations in our county. Mostly burger joint with extras. I have sketched the roofline and maybe the umbrellas at the Bastrop location. Anyway. More sketches to come one of these days.

Thanks all for your kind comments: Jo, Joe1, Joan, Sue, EP, and Anne.

Jo: Me too... I am not that good with food/restaurant/cafe sketch most of the time ... I just want to eat ... lol

Joan: Fantastic challenge of turning 90 degree at a time. Well done.

Thanks for your comments folks

Jo, good finds, I really like the cropping on the doorway and roofline. Dandelions - oh yes - once they appear they are here until winter but weeds or not I do like their cheerful colour and good for insects at this early time of year.

Eyepaint, great collection, super scissors - they look really solid - and yes, we all have containers galore, yours look much tidier than mine

Ai, super sketch of the huts, they look great

JoeIt - liking the pot of basil and the buckle on the hat was a good find

Joan, what a lovely set of sketches for the challenge, kudos to you to. I like them all but for some reason am really drawn to the cool colours in the one to the right - the car and restaurant.

I ventured out in the wind yesterday too - and like you Joan I used the mobile studio. I was lucky to be the only one in the carpark early morning so didn't have to tackle cars :whistle:3 vehicles arrived as I was working but luckily all parked to the side I had already done.

5 - in front of me plus the challenge, all in charcoal in A4 landscape sketchbook

A section of dunes - in front of me
360 1.png

A fairly ramshackle barn - to the right of me
360 2.jpg

And another in slightly better shape (although I lost the perspective on this so looks sort of unsteady in the wind :oops:) - behind me,
360 3.jpg

Rocks at the edge of the parking area - to the left of me
360 4.jpg

Attachments

• 360 2.jpg
    360 2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 88
Joan and Sue, I love your 4 way challenges. Outstanding work.

thank you all for the nice words.
Joan are all wonderful paintings.

Of her, fantastic work, they seem works out of a book.

Jo, yes, the whole menu is Italian :)

Jo, thanks. You inspired me to do the challenge. Hope you do some sketching at the restaurant.

Ai , thanks for your comments.

Sue, how fun that you did the challenge too...and you've got dunes...and old barns...and rocks. What great views! I would love to be there sketching those views.

Anne and Joe 1, thanks!

Today I went out looking for a little spring color. I think I made the tree have more pink than was actually there. It wasn't quite so PINK yet. lol
10 - fence - neocolor sticks and watercolors
IMG_9859.jpeg

4 Whatever is in front of you

a couple of days ago I tried this, a chair, I wanted to draw from the bed

Sedianome.jpg

Sue, good find for your 4 way challenge. The dunes are soft and shapely. Nice barns and rocks. I'm smiling.

Joan, pretty pink tree. I like how you do the fences with negative shapes. Cool.

joe1lt, it is always a pleasure to see Eeyore. Good perspective on the chair.

I sketched at the table in the regular sketchbook. I started with my Lamy, but out of ink so used a Pilot ball point pen. The bowl is black and white with a blue interior, pretty sure I've sketched it before.

I'll be back later with the new list for tomorrow. Keep sketching here, though.

csshfl19bowl-of.jpg

Joan - yay clouds! Yay view 90 degrees to the right! There was a guy (Robert Genn?) who said that, particularly for painting plein aire, find a comfortable spot, paint the view, then turn and there will be another view that's good too. Oh - another turn and sketch! Oh - and yet another! Oh, now I see, I re-read the prompts and I now understand why you did this. Great job! I particularly enjoy the leaving the white of the paper unpainted to show the lines in the parking lot :) And thank you. Yay pink tree.
Jo - thank you. I see I shortened and fattened the blade of the scissors so I could get it all into the sketch. Bad artist. Woo hoo bowl of treats!
Sue - Well done. Where do you live that there are sand dunes and barns left and right? And parking?
joe1lt - yay eeyore

Back