Scavenger Hunt from Life #19: Apr 4 - Apr 12

Sue

Scavenger Hunt from Life #19: Apr 4 - Apr 12

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.
If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/
Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt #19 Apr 4 - Apr 12

Whatever is in front of you – see challenge

Table setting

Something cosy

A bowl of ….

A pile of ……

A pair of …

Steps or staircase

Kitchen appliance

A doorway

Bucket or Bin

Lever(s)

A sweet treat

Something spherical

A buckle

Up the garden path

At the roadside

Something smooth

Something sharp

Something reflective

Something hairy

A Bag

Fence or wall

Roofline

Something you look up at

Something you look down to

Signs of a change in the season

Challenge – wherever you are sitting draw whatever is in front of you - #1 – then turn 90 degrees and draw what is in front of you – repeat twice more so you have a 360 degree sketch.

Thanks for the list Sue.

Tone and I took the girls for a couple of day vacation at Hua Hin beach town, about 2 hour drive south of Bangkok. The girls are on summer school break. Tone and I are still doing work online a lot. Anyway, we are lucky enough to glance to the ocean while we have many of our on-line meeting work related. This evening we met up with our dear friends at a restaurant by Takiab beach.

#1 Something you look up at -- Takiab Rock Mountain by Takiab beach, Hua Hin, Thailand ... done on double page spread as 8x10 inch total using directwatercolor approach ... my horse proportion was way off... The horse did not stand still enough for me... lol

h18_Takieb_a.jpg

h18_Takieb_b.jpg

Sue thanks for the list And interesting challenge.

Ai - did not see the horse as disproportionate until I read you comment and looked at the photo. Looking only at the painting the horse and rider just appear to be in the foreground adding more depth to the painting.

#1 something spherical - a clementine. About 10 - 15 minutes in pocket sketchbook using a 2B .9mm mechanical pencil.

C8491C3F-2BE1-40FA-9976-04FCFA54C3EA.jpeg

Keep Sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Thank yo Joe and Anne for your kind coment

Joe, nice shading of the cleentine

Sue, thanks for a fun list and interesting challenge. I need my lazy susan chair! Don't have one of course.

Ai, awww, love the beach sketch. So nice you are out in the world and still able to work .... and take it easy as well. The horse looks fine, I'm with Joe, just looks like it is in the forward part of the painting.

Joe, love the clementine and that you are drawing!! Excelente!

Sue, thanks for the new list.

Ai, how great that you were able to get away. Love the view of the mountain and the people on the beach. Your horse looks fine! I wish I could do that well with a moving animal.

Joe, good job on the clementine. I usually have one with my breakfast.

1 - roofline - watercolors
2 - something you look up at (trees)
3 - sign of a change in seasons (forsythia in bloom)

IMG_9818.jpeg

Joan, mmmm, nice sketch of the house and trees. I like your foreground. Applause!

I sketched during Gene's PT, the challenge. I walked down to the office buildings where the benches are. The two sides face eachother with a roof over them, sort of like a bus stop. So I sat on one side and then the other since I couldn't "rotate" my chair. Ha. I'll try to take a photo next time.
The challenge in the 9 x 12 sketchbook with regular paper and a Sharpie pen. Won't take wet/watercolor.
Number 1, facing my left and Number 2, in front of me
Number 3, facing my right and Number 4 in back of me.

csshfl19left-front.jpg

csshfl19right.jpg

csshfl19behind.jpg

Ai. great sketch of your vacation spot. I agree with Joe, the horse and rider look to be in the foreground and read well in your painting

Joe, Mmm, looks juicy, good texture on the skin and great squashy shape

Joan,, good to catch 3 items in one sketch - your forsythia is way ahead of mine which is only just beginning to show buds.

Jo, Kudos to you for rising to the challenge - and not a lazy susan chair in sight ;)(y)(y) Great sketches

Joan, nice scenes and good choices for the prompts.

Jo, a fun take on the challenge! Rotate the artist instead of the artwork.

Jo, thanks. I like your 360 degree view sketches! You're getting a lot of mileage out of Gene's PT.

Sue, thanks. I've been watching the forsythia and waiting for it to bloom. It has finally started.

Anne, thank you!!

4 - something spherical - oil pastels (This was done at our sketch group tonight. You picked a bag and had to sketch what was inside with the sketch materials that were inside. There was no yellow for the onion. I had a red, blue, and green oil pastel.
IMG_9845.jpeg
)

5 - something you look down to - direct watercolor
IMG_9842.jpeg

6 - up the garden path at the arboretum - direct watercolor
IMG_9841.jpeg

Sue, Joan, Joe, Jo: Thank you.

Jo: Lovely house, seating area, and the cars.

Joan: Gorgeous spring season scenes..wonderful arboretum, the gorgeous yellow daffodil, and the surprise bag open up as onions... great idea of a game for artists... glorious home with spring forsythia !!!

I manage some opportunities to sketch a BBQ place, used to be owned by an American expat, now own by the British expat ... it is call Green Onion BBQ... I sub. a pile of with a collection of bottles behind the bar... I did not do that well with all bottles... I did only a few of them... We were having a BBQ birthday lunch for Tone... so I was trying to do a quick sketch.

#2 sub. a pile of with a collection of bottles behind bar ... done with directwatercolor

h19_BBQPlace_a.jpg

h19_BBQPlace_b.jpg

#3 in front of me -- sea egret birds on right ... done by directwatercolor ...I messed up their scale, they were recorded down by me as half the size of the boat ... lol
#4 look down at -- rows of Thai small fishing boat docked on left

h19_HuaHinPier_a.jpg

h19_HuaHinPier_b.jpg

Joan, lovely cheerful daffs - we do have those out here now - and the aboretum scene is super. Like your onion sketch and what a good idea the random bag is, filing that away to use at some point.

Ai, good BBQ hut sketch and I really like the waterside ones too, very busy and atmospheric.

Did a couple of quick sketches this morning while waiting in the car -

1 Roofline, looking over towards the whisky distillery with the distinctive 'pagoda' shape roof

19 3.jpg

2 Doorway - lost the perspective on this!
3 Steps
Sorry, very blurry photo, now sure what is going wrong - this is second attempt!
19 1 2.jpg

Attachments

• 19 1 2.jpg
    19 1 2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Ai, great sketch of the bottles at the bar...and the person too. Love the wc of the boat and the beach area. I didn't mind that the birds weren't to scale with the boat. I just thought it was a different sketch.

Sue, thanks. Nice job on the roofline. The stairs look good too!

Still working out digital, progressed to adding colour and playing about with different brushes and layers. Ordered a stylus but still waiting for delivery so done with fingers again.

4 A bowl of spring bulbs. Planning to do a painting of this so was playing around to choose composition etc.
Untitled11.jpg

Joan, mmmm, nice sketch of the house and trees. I like your foreground. Applause!

I sketched during Gene's PT, the challenge. I walked down to the office buildings where the benches are. The two sides face eachother with a roof over them, sort of like a bus stop. So I sat on one side and then the other since I couldn't "rotate" my chair. Ha. I'll try to take a photo next time.
The challenge in the 9 x 12 sketchbook with regular paper and a Sharpie pen. Won't take wet/watercolor.
Number 1, facing my left and Number 2, in front of me
Number 3, facing my right and Number 4 in back of me.

View attachment 20473

View attachment 20474

View attachment 20475
bench.jpg

This is one of the bench areas where I sit to sketch by some office buildings.

Joan, a fun challenge. Your onions came out great. The look down flowers are fun and exciting. The garden path is beautiful.

Ai your pile of bottles made me smile. Ha. The boats and birds is so nice. You captured the scene and fun you were out to do that.

Sue what a cool roofline to find. Nicely done. Cool doorway and steps. I like your finds. The spring bulbs are great. You are figuring the digital out.

csshfl19pair.jpg

csshfl19roofline.jpg

csshfl19lookup.jpg

5, pair of - glasses
6, doorway
7, roofline
8, change of seasons - dandelions
9, something you look up at - ceiling vents and hanging light

Thanks for the new list!
I will return with comments but wanted to post sketches first.
5x8" ink and marker.

1. container (bin)
2. container of markers (bowl of ...)
3. pile of ... teabags
4. pair of ... scissors

hunt19-01.jpg

Cheers,

Back