Scavenger Hunt from Life #124: July 30 - Aug 7

Joan T

Scavenger Hunt from Life #124: July 30 – Aug 7

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Scavenger Hunt #124: July 30 – Aug 7

Cylindrical
Rectangular
Triangular
Made of plastic
Made of wood
Made of fabric
Made of metal
Made of pottery
Leaf or leaves
A flower
A landscape
A building or structure
Fluffy
Scratchy
Your hand (Challenge: Your hand holding another item from the hunt.)
Something in a bottle
A vehicle
An entrance or exit
An item used with paper
An item used when cooking
An item with buttons
Something from your bathroom cabinet
Something from your kitchen cabinet
Something from your refrigerator
Something translucent
Free space

Have fun!!!

1 - a flower - Procreate

IMG_0154.jpeg

Thanks for Hosting Joan - I see another purple shadow....you little trickster:love:...you fooled me with that digie.....sweet catch

Thanks for the list Joan. The flower sketch is so pretty....a great start of this Hunt.

Fletch, thanks. That digital sketch probably took me double the time a regular sketch would, but I know I need to keep my digital tools practicing.

Robin, yes, I snuck in another purple shadow. I haven't found a good shadow color in the digital selections.

Ai, thanks. Hope you have a great time sketching "across the border." I always love your travel sketches.

Done these during 1.25 hr flight to Penang, Malaysia...

#2 used with paper...ink+markers
#3 made with fabric (the case)

1000003682.jpg

#4 sub. a vehicle with an airplane

1000003712.jpg

Ai, wonderful use of your wait time at the airport and in-flight! How long is the Asia Link Sketchwalk? Are you traveling with other sketchers? I thought about going to the Sketcherfest in Seattle, but never got myself organized to go. Then I'm jealous when I see everyone there having such a good time. lol

Joan: Thanks...the sketch walk is 4 days...Aug 1-4...I just enjoy to be there to sketch the old town with my art buddies.

#5 Entrance or exit...Georgetown's Chew Jetty...

1000003756.jpg

1000003748.jpg

Wow, I'm just opening this up. Thanks Joan for the Hunt.

Joan the sunflowers are smiles on stems.

Ai, ohhh, clever cylinder! Fun inside, too. Love the boats and your art kit full of goodies. Have fun in Malaysia.

Kids are gone, will try to sketch. We did do some framing. Fletch will be happy as we framed a couple of my pastel sketches!

Ai, I love that sketch of the jetty. The boats are great and the background buildings are done so well. Enjoy your trip and the sketching with your friends.

Jo, thanks. For some reason I've been up to my ears in sunflowers the last few days. Glad you hear that you did some framing of your pastels.:)

The next two scenes were done tonight with my sketch group down by the Sayville Maritime Museum.
1 - made of wood (dock) - direct watercolors
2 - cylindrical (pilings)

IMG_5724.jpeg

3 - landscape - direct watercolor

IMG_5722.jpeg

4 - leaves - watercolor
5 - flower

IMG_5725.jpeg

Thanks Jo and Joan....There will be about 500 artists or sketchers for this 4 day event.

Joan: stunning flowers and leaves...beautiful landscape, dock and piling.

#6 landscape ...pencil and WC...at the junction of Campbell Hotel, Georgetown

1000003884.jpg

1000003869.jpg

#7 building ...clock tower of Georgetown
1000003957.jpg

1000003932.jpg

Ai, I'm loving your sketches from the AsiaLink SketchWalk. The buildings, especially the bell tower, are great! Fun that you're able to sketch the indoor activities too. Have fun!

#9 sub. made of pottery with made of cement and clay ..."Har Yang Sit Teik Tong Yeoh Kongsi, Georgetown, Penang" directwatercolor...the Sun came out strong in my last 20 minutes...So I was quickly sketched and dashed back indoor.

1000004072.jpg

1000004038.jpg

#7b -- another building, a shrine of one of prominent families of Georgetown... Directwatercolor

1000004092.jpg

1000004090.jpg

1000004078.jpg

#6b -- night landscape or a nocturne of Chulia Street, Georgetown, Penang...pencil + WC + ink

1000004196.jpg

May be I overcluttered my sketch with foreground motorcycles...so I try to use my cellphone AI eraser... interesting result, isn't it.

1000004195.jpg

Here was the real scene ...
1000004177.jpg

#10 something translucent...a drink at China house Cafe, Georgetown, Penang.... directwatercolor.

1000004116.jpg

1000004114.jpg

Ai, your sketches are so great. The subjects are so colorful and you capture them perfectly. I especially like the nocturne with the bikes. It looks so different without them. I'm glad you sketched them in the view!

I went out to sketch this morning hoping I could beat the heat, but it was too hot to sit outside comfortably. Instead I sat in my mobile studio with the AC running. I went to pull out my palette and it wasn't in my bag. I had switched bags the other day to just take a few things instead of my whole backpack. I never replaced the palette. I haven't done that in a long time. Luckily I had watercolor pencils with me. I don't like seeing the lines from the pencils so I wet my brush and picked up color from the tips of the pencil. I really don't like painting that way because you don't get enough color and can't move it around as well.

This is an entrance to a local park down by the bay.
6 - entrance/exit - watercolor pencils
7 - rectangular pilar
8 - made of fabric (seat on the baby stroller)

IMG_5728.jpeg

Last edited:
Back