Scavenger Hunt from Life #100: Jan 21 - Jan 28

Ned: Thanks... so cool to live not far from amazing ocean rocks... great sketch... image that those big rock, each have its famous name... :)

Jo: Thanks. ... Such a cool still-life...I agree with Ned in that gorgeous burgundy color.

pinecone: Thanks... Sweet cat book sketch

joan: Thanks... your friends are so lucky (count me in too) to have your special artworks to celebrate his/her birthday. Wonderful gouache work from you with the pond depicting.

Joe1 & lurkers: Thanks.

Thanks to all.

Pine Cone, awww, love the kitty. Great sketch and way to return to sketching. Applause.

Joan, you are doing well with your gouache paints. I like the idea of the pond at the golf course. We lost a lot of balls on our golf course when we used to play. Pretty.

Ned, perfect name for the rock. I like the way you simplified the waves and water. Hard to show in line sketching. Love your scene.

Ai, nice to "see" you, too.

I thought you might like to see the set up. I forgot to post it.
setup.jpg

Ned, yes, even with gouache I find myself working from light to dark. Love the "rocky" view. Nicely done with the ink. You have a knack for simplifying a scene so nicely.

Ai, thanks so much. I like your clock and box from the jenga game.

Jo, thanks for posting your setup. Nice!!

Last edited:
3 - egg shells - sketch & wash pencil (dry)
IMG_4498.jpeg

I visited the East Quogue Nature Preserve today. It was still too cold to want to sketch outdoors and they have some live creatures and a lot of stuffed and preserved animals.

4 - animal (raccoon) - graphite pencil

IMG_4495.jpeg

5 - free choice (bearded dragons) - sketch & wash pencil, watercolors, ink, white gouache

IMG_4493.jpeg

I did get out to the coffee shop today while sitter came….

the flesh rectangles were done long time ago…I just used the page
1-table
2-book(magazines on end table
3-knit cap
4marking tool- she was underlining with a marker

Jo, Joan -- thanks, your comments mean more to me than you know! I'll explain later, but trying to simplify has been a main focus for me. Before I start any drawing I remind myself of a few things and the last 4 are: "simplify simplify simplify simplify!!!". Maybe it's working :)

Ai -- Like the clock and box. I have an odd kind of time piece in mind for this hunt! Hope I get to it.

Joan -- really like the eggshells! The bearded dragons and raccoon are great.

Robin -- I always like to see your colorful ink! You really got the perspective nicely in that one!

I wanted to draw this last week but it didn't stop raining after my daughter went back to college, so I got over there today. It was sunny when I got there but started raining by the time I hiked to it... I waited about 30 minutes and the showers passed, but I'm afraid I hurried the drawing in case the rain started again and I got lost/confused several times.

animal --> vertebrae --> now that I've seen it again I think it is a skull:
IMG_1827rs.jpg

some photos. This is what it looked like in October when I found it:
20231028_141911rs.jpg

after recent storms and high tides, it moved and started to break up. I tried to take a "selfie" with my phone today:
20240123_141046rs.jpg

on the hike back, the light and sky and water were magical
20240123_145702rs.jpg

Ai, wow, love the blue clock and the geometric is a great idea....

Joan, lovely egg shells, so hard to get them to be delicate and white. Great job. Interesting racoon and bearded dragons. They are sort of monster like!

Robin, clever use of the squared paper. I like the person doing the marking. Fun art on the walls and excellent tables. I'm definitely smiling.

Ned, what a find for your vertebrae!! Is it from a whale?? Huge. Well drawn all the complicated curves and dips. Cool. Fun to see you, too. The light, sky and water is just beautiful. Reflections are great. Mmmmmm.

We are getting loud thunder and rain, mostly noise. I should unplug my computer!

Joan: Thanks ... love all egg shells and all kinds of the animals... esp. the beard dragon ones. Your typography is excellent, well enhancing the bearded animal sketch. Love that you were able to get a good view of the raccoon also ...was that a live one?

Robin: Thanks... Blessing for you to have a short art break to freshen up your spirit. Love all the nooks and crannies you were able to drawn them in.

Jo: Thanks... hope you are safe and sound from thunder storm.

Ned: Thanks... Hello...for seeing your face to scale up to the animal skull ... I would guess that it was a whale, perhaps ??? Great sketch of the rare nature. ... Here was the result of searching GoogleLens with your image... I think there is a high possibility of a whale skull...

Jan24_2024_Possibly_WhaleBone.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the birthday wishes. Fun to find out Ai is a day older than me.😇 Belated birthday wishes Ai.

Joan - Love all the tones and shades of color you use. Trying to learn color mixing and your posts make great examples. Thanks for the birthday donut!

PineCone So glad to see you. 👍🏽 Love the cat eyes. Triangle approach sounds interesting. Only animals I draw are stuffed.

Joe1 - Thank# for the birthday wishes.

Ned - “Drawing what you want to see” is called artistic license.😎 Nicely done. Thanks for birthday wishes. Like the light play on

Ai - Ninja Turtles were one of my sons favorites when he was little. Them and the Power Rangers (which were broadcast in Japanese but he loved them.) Supermouse looks to big for PineCone’s cat. Supermouse would look cool on that motorbike. Amazing straight lines on the game box,

Robin - Prayers and empathy are with you and Tom.

Jo - Thanks fir birthday wishes. I can see that colorful composition on a calendar already.

Sitting in therapist waiting room with nothing to sketch.☹️
Keep sketching
Fletch

Sitting at dentist and saw I never hit send 🤯

Ned, lucky find, something I'll never see! Thanks.

Thanks, Fletch. Hope you get to sketch soon. Life gets in the way!

I sketched at the window as it is raining. Wiped off the book, etc. Assorted pastels on the Lux Archival.

Number 7, ocean, river or pond - the big pond and a puddle.
csshfl100pond.jpg

Robin, so glad you had a break and were able to go to a coffee shop and sketch. I know how much that can mean!!! Love her thoughtful pose with marker in hand...studying?...apartment hunting?...job hunting? The stories are endless. Nice capture.

Ned, finds like that are such treasures, but are hard to draw. I get "lost" in what I'm drawing sometimes and can miss an entire section of what I'm sketching. Objects like this without color or real contrast make it difficult to show the volume and shape of what you're seeing. Nice ink lines to shape it. Looks like Ai found something similar. Thanks for sharing a selfie so we could see the actual size of it in relation to a human. That photo of the water is gorgeous!

Jo, thanks. The bearded dragons were interesting to draw. They looked like they were going to stay nice and still under the lights above their tanks but they moved a lot. One of them kept bobbing his head up and down like he was dancing and according to the info card that is exactly what they like to do. But he/she was the only one doing that out of the 4 that were in the tank. Nice pastel of the pond and the big puddle!

Ai, thanks. No, the raccoon had been stuffed like most of the animals inside the building. There were live snakes, a chameleon, and a box turtle and a few other live creatures in addition to the bearded dragons.

Fletch, thanks for your kind words. Hope you had a good birthday and didn't spend your day sitting in the therapist or the dentist.

My aim was to sketch the Riverhead Water District tower, but the house fits here.
6 - home/residence - watercolors and ink
7 - quad (four supports to the tower)
IMG_4499.jpeg

Joan: Thanks for the info. that seems like my kind of place to sketch animals too. Such a gorgeous home with water tower... lovely fence and vegetation too.

Fletch: Thanks for the b-day wish... Hope your day is getting better and our sketches keep you company despite the forgotten to send post from time to time ha.

Jo: Wonderful landscape in pastel. One question for you how many time you can wipe off the pastel painting on that Lux Archival.... interesting ground to me.

Joan, love the home and water tank with all the "trimmings" and details. You are so good about going out and hunting. Hopefully I will do that more when Gene gets to ride his trike more. We have rain again tonight so here we are....

Ai, thanks. I haven't used this new paper much yet, only the first wipe! It seems very durable. I think it has many times to hold pastels. I even wipe of MiTientes 3 or 4 times so this must have about 10, ha.

All — I don't have time for full comments right now, but back soon I hope to comment.....

JoC — I want to quickly mention that your superb new pastel is my new favorite..... the surpassing beauty, the peaceful serenity of the colors and the place..... I'm begging you to frame that one forever, please, please, please 🙏
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Ai, thanks. I'm glad there is an indoor section to the preserve because it was cold, wet, and nasty outside. Too bad there weren't more animals inside. I know they have some separate pens outside for larger animals, but I don't know if you can go inside...but if I remember correctly there was an indoor one with a giant turtle. I'll have to check the next time I'm there.

Jo, many thanks. I get tired of sketching the same things so often so I try to venture our someplace different if I can.

Joe 1, nice to see your sketches of Eeyore and the shells.

Today was another wet, uncomfortable day. Jerry had a doctor's appointment which killed the entire morning. It warmed up today but it wasn't conducive to being outside, so I set up a still life to work on in my kitchen.

8 - bottles (sub for jars) - watercolors and ink

IMG_4509.jpeg

Back