Robert saw a whale

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Contributing Member
WIP. This started as a Plein air in 2016. My first real attempt at an acrylic painting. It was terrible. But couldn't let it go, the elements have remained. There is no whale.
Painnt_20230922190455.jpg

Very original and interesting! I like what's going on. However, I do see something that resembles a rock that looks a little like a whale. But I wouldn't have seen it without the title. Lots of beauty here. Very nice! ♥️

Robert saw the whale and then it swam on by. I wouldn't call this a WIP, I think I would leave it as is. It is quite complete here. I like it, and that is saying something, as I am not a fan of abstract so much. :giggle: ❤️

Robert saw the whale and then it swam on by. I wouldn't call this a WIP, I think I would leave it as is. It is quite complete here. I like it, and that is saying something, as I am not a fan of abstract so much. :giggle: ❤️
Thank you so much. And, darn, I did a bit more today. Would really appreciate your thoughts. I could always try ctrl/z.
Painnt_20230923160340.jpg

Very original and interesting! I like what's going on. However, I do see something that resembles a rock that looks a little like a whale. But I wouldn't have seen it without the title. Lots of beauty here. Very nice! ♥️
Thanks. In case you didn't see me, I am the tree trunk/branches, tad aged :) the rocks can be seen through me. Sort of.

I saw the whale but what's interesting to me is the water - there is a real sense of motion - could be a flood knocking over trees, or ??
Doesn't matter - good work.

STOP!

Stop- it's there; it's done.

The strongest version was the first one, but then you took the value structure away and it looked weird.

Now you have corrected the too-high chroma and value of the squiggly stuff top right, and allowed the bones to come back in.

Leave this one- it's good.

If you have to see what else it can be, do another so you don't do this one to death.

An interesting piece - I did like the original one, but this one seems to showcase the whale, or the shapes that are making it, much better.

I agree with the suggestion to let it stand - if you still have something in mind you might be better served starting fresh. This one's good!

I think all the stages are marvellous. I usually like earlier versions better, but in this case I find that the last one you posted is very appealing.

STOP!

Stop- it's there; it's done.

The strongest version was the first one, but then you took the value structure away and it looked weird.

Now you have corrected the too-high chroma and value of the squiggly stuff top right, and allowed the bones to come back in.

Leave this one- it's good.

If you have to see what else it can be, do another so you don't do this one to death.
Thankyou. I had decided I was trying to make it something, rather than listening to it.

I think all the stages are marvellous. I usually like earlier versions better, but in this case I find that the last one you posted is very appealing.
Thanks. I am really struggling with keeping the paintbrush down!

An interesting piece - I did like the original one, but this one seems to showcase the whale, or the shapes that are making it, much better.

I agree with the suggestion to let it stand - if you still have something in mind you might be better served starting fresh. This one's good!
Do it again 🤣 can't do that!

I saw the whale but what's interesting to me is the water - there is a real sense of motion - could be a flood knocking over trees, or ??
Doesn't matter - good work.
I was going for 'active' water.

Back