Restless Mind

Donna T

Another attempt to experience abstract painting. I rotated my board 90 degrees every few minutes so that I would not be tempted to develop the "things" that appeared (although I can still see the remnants so maybe the title fits!) 12x12 pastel on sanded paper of some kind
IMG_3234PScs.jpg

I really like this! the choice of colour and the effect - which is like the smudginess of printed matter, or a Klee oil transfer, or the bite of acid on a plate.

That's an excellent idea, Donna! I would likely benefit from the same thing, once I visualize something I tend to follow it. This would stop that cold.

Your abstract is beautiful! Love your colors and the dreamy effect. Lovely!

Yes, this has a dreamy Klee vibe, which I love. It's very good! I can see this selling for a lot of money--many people wanting it for sure. You should make more "attempts" at these, as this was certainly very successful! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Thanks Wayne! I wasn't sure about the colors but I'm glad you think they work.

Iain - Thank you so much! I like the sense of depth from the layers too. I'll have to look up Klee's oil transfers and see what I can learn.

Terri - Thank you and it was kind of fun to make something that doesn't have to look like any "thing."

Deborah - Thank you!

ZenDruid - many thanks!

Jo - this is completely new to me and also a very good way to use up papers that I've been hanging onto for too long. This was some kind of icky mauve color and I could never find a use for it. Thanks!

Arty - Maybe I'll get up the nerve to enter this in a contest someday. Thanks so much!

Trier - Thank you, much appreciated.

This reminds me of something I attempted awhile ago, but yours is so much better. The colors are very successful, and the blending is nice too. What medium do you use?

Thanks snoball - I did try for some kind of complementary harmony.

trufflecat, this is soft pastel. I washed in a dark underpainting to cover the icky pinkish sanded paper color and then layered from there. Thanks!

Congratulations on going full-out abstract with this one - beautiful result! Love the colour palette, the feel of depth from all the texture, and the great use of line. I like your idea of rotating the board every few minutes, too - I must give that a try.

Those colours are beautiful: I especially love those touches of orange against the blue. There are some lovely effects here. :)

triss and Kay - I appreciate your comments; thank you! Rotating the board is really helpful - especially if you usually paint landscapes and things tend to be anchored to the ground.

Another attempt to experience abstract painting. I rotated my board 90 degrees every few minutes so that I would not be tempted to develop the "things" that appeared (although I can still see the remnants so maybe the title fits!) 12x12 pastel on sanded paper of some kindView attachment 12102
Oh yes. I would definitely hang that on my wall.

Back