Quickie self-portrait in Ceracolors

Bartc

I was demonstrating for a friend how to use Ceracolor cold water-soluble wax paints. Haven't used them in a few years, but love them. And also hadn't painted a portrait in a few years. But this came out decently for a 25 minute attempt (yes, it needs some adjusting, which I may or may not get to!) At least I know I can still handle a brush, after 2 years of almost exclusively pastel work.
ceracolor self portrait feb 22.jpg

Um, just to be clear, everyone, the one on the right is not a painting, it's a rendering in Photoshop from a video slide. The one on the left is the only painting in the picture. But thanks for the compliments.

Fun and fresh version of the photo - and a good hat is always a plus in any portrait!

I've been really interested in the water-soluble wax paints available here (a different brand to Ceracolor), but haven't come across anyone else using them, and can't find that much detail about what their advantages are. Any chance you could talk a bit about why you love them, Bart? It sounds like you have some experience with them, so I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Yeah, Triss, I joke that my painting got better when I deliberately bought a hat to fit the model! LOL

I suspect you are using Cuni, the only other brand I'm aware of in cold wax of this kind, and it's not available here. But I expect that they operate the same.

First of all, once you heat seal them (and you don't have to but you will likely want to for durability) they are truly archival. Until that point or until they "cure" they remain water soluble to a degree. They dry on the painting more or less like acrylics or slower, but they can easily be reopened or wiped/brushed off with water - plain ordinary drinkin' stuff. You can seal your work along the way so that the next layer is easily wiped off without disturbing what's underneath, pretty much like "workable" fixatives allow pastels to do.

The pigments are vibrant and saturated, but if you want to thin them out you can do so with plain water, with their native wax mediums, or with both, just the same as with acrylics. But the real advantage is that they glaze gorgeously, easily, and you won't find anything like that in acrylics, oils or watercolors most times.

You can also use mediums to thicken them for impasto. You can paint them on canvas, paper, wood - probably most supports - but I find it best on something that is at least semi-absorbent.

You can paint them light to dark or the reverse or both (just like acrylics), but I find them best light to dark most times.

They are as versatile as acrylics, and I've actually painted them to appear like watercolors, oils and even pastels (dry brushing). Try that with other media and you'll realize just how good this cold water soluble wax stuff is. And unlike true encaustics, they require no special tools, no mess, no different painting skills - you can paint them anywhere, small or large, inside or outside.

They do not need glass when framing, just heat sealing (hair dryer does fine) and light buffing, which you can repeat many times if you want.

Just a damn lovely versatile true paint. This is an ancient medium that has been modernized, so advantages of both. 'Nuff said?

Thanks for the great reply, Bart - really appreciate your knowledge! Yes, the brand available here in the UK is Cuni, and I think you may have sold me on buying a few colours to try out. Love the sound of their versatility. I don't quite click with acrylics, so it's tempting to see if I'd get along better with these. What's their opacity like straight from the tube? I'm hoping that, undiluted, they might handle closer to oils than acrylics?

They have good opacity out of the tube, Triss, but that might vary with colors and between the two brands.
BTW, I don't know if Cuni has a starter sample set, but Ceracolors (Natural Pigments) does. White, 3 primaries and medium in small tubes. Frankly, you can get away with that same formula even if you use the full sized tubes. Color mixing is terrific, just like most other major media.

Did you by chance see that scratch art video at NatPig using Ceracolors, Bart?

I finally got a couple of colors on sale after seeing you use for them years. :) They arrived a couple of days ago. (The sampler set was out of stock.)

I like the self-portrait, by the way!

Did you by chance see that scratch art video at NatPig using Ceracolors, Bart?

I finally got a couple of colors on sale after seeing you use for them years. :) They arrived a couple of days ago. (The sampler set was out of stock.)

I like the self-portrait, by the way!
Laika, I didn't watch that, because I'm not into scratch art. But when I first saw them demo this they showed us how very many different techniques work with Ceracolors.
Thanks for the compliment.

Back