question

ntl

Contributing Member
I'm using a teaching video (the instructor expects people to follow his instruction) to paint a scene in oils. He is using a stretched canvas 15x30. I don't have one. I planned to use an 11x14 one. OR, I could use two 9x12 canvas papers taped together. Mine will be a practice piece for a much larger but somewhat similar basic scene, where I will be able to use his instructions I think. Which would you choose, the 11x14 canvas, or the canvas paper for this practice piece?

For what it's worth:

....if you cut your canvas paper to 6 x 12 you would keep the same ratio as the 15 x 30
If you are trying to squeeze the same painting you should have the same ratio or things won't fit.

Good point, and thanks for doing that math. FWIW, and I don't know if it makes a difference, if I can accomplish this, the canvas I would hope to use is 25 x 36. I have never done one that size. My largest have been 18 x 24, and that was numerous years ago. I will not be "copying" his piece, but using it as a guide for a somewhat similar one. His original piece was 24 x 36. For his demo, much of the foreground was compressed, maybe some of the sky eliminated.

You could also keep the same aspect with both sheets by cutting one in half and going 9x18 if you want it bigger.
when following a tutorial or the like I prefer to keep the aspect the same if I cant use the same size but I tend to try following them as closely as I can.

Back