Question about Gamblin Solvent-free Gel

Donna T

I recently did an oil painting and discovered the joy of adding a little gel to get my sky colors to blend and flow better. Unfortunately I must have added too much because now that it's dry it's very glossy as compared to the rest of the painting. It's just a practice piece because I'm learning but I wonder how to prevent this in the future, other than not using the gel at all. Is there anything I can do to even out this glossy effect? Thanks for any advice.

Can't help you. I use Dorlands Wax so everything I do is matte. Did you use it on all of the painting? If so, it may dull down if the other paint did. If not, use it for the whole painting.

If you're finished, maybe you could spray on a light layer of retouch varnish. That might help make a uniform gloss. (This being in the oil forum, I'm sure someone will jump in and tell us why that's a bad idea.) And what about oiling out? Might that not help?

(Small world. I was just wondering if Gamblin's Solvent-Free Fluid could be used to whip up some tempera grassa. it's either a great idea or the egg yolk portion would crack, I imagine.)

I don’t use any “ medium”. For the first layers/block in I use paint from the tube and some Gamsol (OMS) then subsequent layers mix in walnut oil. The walnut oil is very slippery, and does dry to the touch glossy. After a couple months some of the gloss fades. Sometimes if the gloss doesn’t fade enough I varnish the piece with Gamblin Gamvar. It comes in Matte and gloss. You brush it on with a fine soft haired brush. It is thin and levels out well.

Other methods are: to oil the whole surface; Damar varnish, or othe MFGs varnish. This will give an even sheen.

Last edited:
I use this medium all the time and it does sound like you used too much of it, either in one area of the painting? Or in all areas? Is this the case? I mean, is it glossy in patchy areas? As you are painting with it, you will notice it thins the paint out quite a bit. It is a lot like Liquin in this way, in fact, I think it was meant to be a non-toxic replacement for Liquin. That is basically how I've been using it--almost as a kind of quick-dryer, a kind of glaze to layer (because it thins out the paint and makes it much smoother) and these kinds of uses.

This is how I use it. AS I paint, I use very little of it. I put out a little dab of it next to the colors, dip my paint in it just a touch and pick up some paint color and use it as a smooth layer, depending on how opaque I want to cover. If it's too thin, I'll pick up more paint without dabbing it in the gel and cover over it a little more.

AS a general media for the entire color, I will mix the gel with all of the color (again, you do not need more than a small dab of the gel to an almost generous amount of paint on your palette). I do this when the paint color is particularly dense, dry, or sticky just to smooth it out so it's more flowy.

Just use it sparingly. If you see it's too thin in more places than others and are afraid of it shining, take a small amount of paint that is not dipped in the gel and lightly brush over it, but the less gel you use, the more likely you really won't need to do this.

Keep experimenting with it too and look closely at the differences in it while it's still wet to see the thin-ness of paint. Too much gel will most likely make it slightly glossy.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate your expertise and knowledge!

Wayne, a matte surface sounds better than glossy patches. Much better.

Lamar, oiling out might help even out the glossy patches but I don't think I have the right thing to do that unless I apply a thin layer of gel all over? It probably would result in a sticky mess but I might try just for the heck of it.

Patrick, I didn't use the gel until the final layers but I must have used way too much. Gamvar might help disguise the patchiness.

Ayin, many thanks for that explanation. I definitely used too much gel and have some very glossy patches. I should have known better. Since this is just a practice piece I might try to repaint the glossy area to see if I can eliminate those patches. Or I wonder if I could use the gel as a glaze to unify the whole thing? Just wipe it on and then off? Next time I'll try your method and remember to go easy with it!

I prefer more of a matte finish, so my own personal opinion would be to go over the glossier bits with paint that does not have any (or much) gel in it and cover some of the glossy areas (unless you have much more or those than drier areas). Maybe whichever is less work! :ROFLMAO:

Some oils have more oil in them than others (depending on pigment load and other additives) per MFG. Be mindfull that each layer of oil paint, Alla Prima or wet over dry, should have more oil than the previous layer. Especially if your ground is thin and going wet over dry. Serious adhesion problems can result if too lean is applied over a fatter layer.

Well I decided to cover the the non-glossy parts with a thin layer of Solvent-free gel and it looks much better. I know this isn't the recommended thing to do but this painting is just for learning.

Patrick, I didn't use the gel in the initial layers and will only use it very sparingly in the future. I had no idea it would dry so differently! I have noticed that some colors in the same brand dry very differently too. I guess that's why so many use varnish later on.

If you just want a fix you could get a soft cloth and rub the piece down with bees wax or Dorlands or gamblin. The amount of wax and the rubbing should matte it down. Some people use this method in place of varnish. I have not done it nor know of it's holding power but as it's experimental it would not hurt.

I have Gamblin wax, Wayne, and will see if I can matte-ify this mess when it dries. If it dries. Ever. :ROFLMAO:

Back