Pricing crochet work

ntl

Contributing Member
How does one price crochet--or knit--work? I've been asked to crochet 2 afghans, one apparently all single crochet, one both front and back post double crochet, one to be double bed size. I'm not a fast worker--I know other people work faster than I do. I would expect the materials would be provided, so I'm talking about time in.

Someone I once asked to knit something for me charged a set price per ball - at the time it was £1 per ball - so a 12 ball jumper would cost £12. I think I have heard that people charge so much per hour but don’t think there are set rates - you could charge the minimum hourly wage rate.

Perhaps someone who knits for profit will post what they charge.

Penny

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, Penny. That helps. I'm really not quick--still working on my own afghan. I have about 35 hexes to add a last row to before sewing it together...

You are welcome. I knitted a christening shawl and asked for £20 and got it. I wasn’t knitting for profit or for an income and just charged what I thought was a sensible price. They also paid for the yarn. I think I would set a price per ball of yarn, if you are not aiming to make crocheting your income. Let us know what you decide.

Great article. I've been working on this afghan for months. I'm too slow for such a project except for myself. I don't even paint much right now. So, I will not take it on. I have a few other things I want to do instead.

Yes, you must only do what makes you happy and not take on something that would be a chore. I only knit things for friends and ask for a small gift for doing so - I got a big box of chocolates last time but can’t eat chocolate now! I knit and crochet for my own benefit. I don’t like sitting and doing nothing and read, play chess on the computer, or card games, or knit or crochet while watching tv! I’m finishing a book at present and watching the rugby. 😎

I don't often sit with idle hands either. I have to sit for 2 hours a day, and drawing/painting is not feasible during that time, so I usually read or crochet, do phone puzzles, or sometimes, just watch tv...

LOL, now I seem to have taken up bird watching. My SinL hung a large feeder in a tree across the yard, in view of my card table. Now the binoculars are there. Visitors include wrens, tufted titmouse, Northern Cardinal, bluejays, robins, and a few others I haven't identified yet. I have a pamphlet of birds of the area, but a few I have seen don't seem to be shown. We also have Canadian Geese and ducks in the pond, an occasional crow, and an eagle stops by once in a while. The hummingbird feeder is not out yet.

Excellent! Some lovely birds there. I believe we only have eagles in Scotland, so its not likely I will see on here! 😁 I have a resident young robin, lots of magpies, jackdaws, blackbirds, sparrows, bluetits, bullfinches, etc. I do see buzzards when out by the river.

Back