Pointillism

Well thank you Ian, but as I have stated many times, keeping a tidy house is beyond my capabilities. :giggle:

Who knew the inspiration for high art lay in wether the carpet was vacuumed...
That is just my usual answer to anyone who says there is nothing I can't do or there is no end to my talents. :giggle:

The MYTH about pointillism is that Seurat and others used dots of two colors to make a third color i.e. yellow and blue dots spaced close together to make green. This is demonstrably NOT the case.

seurate.jpg

In the right crop notice that to make green Seurat used....wait for it......green. To make an orange he used orange etc.
Notice in the left crop that Seurat often didn't even use that many dots - look at the water.

What he did do was use mostly dots of the complimentary color of the mass color to create a certain vibrancy.
Many modern day plein air painters and others do something similar - painting a blue sky(ocean) over a toned canvas of burnt-sienna(alizaran) and allowing bits of the un-covered toned canvas to show thru.

Last edited:
I know. Still, I like the idea that great art might simply originate in the avoidance of having to dust.

:)
Speaking of dust, in Picasso's early days while living in rooms of that era - didn't dust and refused to let maids come in to dust. The reason being that he didn't want to stir up dust when he had oil paintings left strewn about to dry.

I especially would not dust in studios while art was drying when I had dogs because of the hair, not just the dust. Nothing worse than dog hair stuck to your oil paintings. Unless you're doing that on purpose for some reason.

That's one of my bugbears, having to protect ones' work from the environment. No mean feat here, I can tell you. Picasso would have had breakdown. They just do not respect the products of genius. 🧐

I've added some more color to this one with extra stippling, so I'm posting it again in an attempt to pull this thread back to the subject at hand. 😊 For some reason the scanner picks up the green much stronger than what it is IRL.

leafredo.jpg

I've added some more color to this one with extra stippling, so I'm posting it again in an attempt to pull this thread back to the subject at hand. 😊 For some reason the scanner picks up the green much stronger than what it is IRL.
I think stippling is a more reasonable technique than pointillism and achieves a similar (better) result.

Last edited:
I love that leaf! It's pretty incredible! I've seen it before, but I love seeing it again. Great work Sno.

I love that leaf! It's pretty incredible! I've seen it before, but I love seeing it again. Great work Sno.
Thanks Arty, yes, you've seen it at the beginning of this thread but I added more dots of color. Just playing around because the painting I am working on is not cooperating. :)

You guys are quite funny sometimes..... From a chat about pointillism (a color theory/practice that’s about 150 years old and belongs in the annals of history), you somehow moved on to talking about dust....😁😂
Why don’t you get Henry Darger (a janitor throughout his life) out of his grave to sweep away every spec of dust??.....

You guys are quite funny sometimes..... From a chat about pointillism (a color theory/practice that’s about 150 years old and belongs in the annals of history), you somehow moved on to talking about dust....😁😂
Why don’t you get Henry Darger (a janitor throughout his life) out of his grave to sweep away every spec of dust??.....
babybutt.gif

I especially would not dust in studios while art was drying when I had dogs because of the hair, not just the dust. Nothing worse than dog hair stuck to your oil paintings. Unless you're doing that on purpose for some reason.

Oh trust me Arty; there are worse things than dog hair. I was working on a rather big painting outdoors at the Cleveland Art Museum. Behind the museum was a large landscaped area encircling a lagoon, where I was painting. One day, while painting a large swarm of mosquitos flew into the painting. Added a little degree of realism. :LOL:

Well, I no longer have any doggies unfortunately. Though some remnants their hair remains here and there to remind me of how much I miss them. :(

Back