Planning Sketch-Slovenian Spring

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi Folks. This is a planning sketch for a painting I hope to start when home.
We had been driving back from Italy and through Slovenia. It was raining buckets and when not, super cloudy so stopping for photos was a no-go.
The hills were in spring mode, new leaves bursting out, some trees in white flowers and dramatic landscapes. The drawing is from memory that combines about two scenes that stuck in my mind as I drove. I will likely add a mistyness to the hill junctions as the clouds were rolling in .
Its on my least favourite paper (Tiziano) that I found at home using my travel set of Faber Castells with a couple of Sennelier that I always carry in my luggage. The colours are a bit off as you can tell from the tape, but I cannot fiddle more.
I needed to draw after three weeks.... comments welcome.

IMG_080203-SloSpring1.jpg

Looks like a finished painting to me.
Thanks Bart. It's only 24x30cm on an offcut of Tiziano I had in the cupboard. When I get back to my studio I will repeat on Pastelmat and better pastels. The FC are OK for sketches but soooo dusty. Glad you like it tho.

That's gorgeous, Murray! It feels damp and the sky looks like it's not to be trusted. What I like most is how you made the bright spring greens of the trees stand out from the darker hill behind them. It's the kind of thing we probably wouldn't notice or appreciate on a sunny day.

That's gorgeous, Murray! It feels damp and the sky looks like it's not to be trusted. What I like most is how you made the bright spring greens of the trees stand out from the darker hill behind them. It's the kind of thing we probably wouldn't notice or appreciate on a sunny day.
Thanks Donna, I appreciate the thoughts.

Just lovely. Not familiar with that paper, but your result is very good! You have the touch.
Hi Jo. It's a bit like Mi Tintes but very textured. I used the smoother side but it has little tooth. Between that and the Faber's it was kinda dusty. Oh to be home with my Senneliers. Thanks for the thoughts

Hi Murray .. one little thing that I, in my fix mode would do .. if you lessen saturation of the purple and blue to the viewer right of the biggest tallest tree, that will allow you to freely travel from the landscape to the sky. Their present saturation stops me dead in my tracks.
............. only a note in hoping it might help you sometime.

Hi Jo. It's a bit like Mi Tintes but very textured. I used the smoother side but it has little tooth. Between that and the Faber's it was kinda dusty. Oh to be home with my Senneliers. Thanks for the thoughts
The paper has that MT look - some texture and a nice tone. You did a wonderful job! Your bright foreground colors look tender and new under that gray sky. Great light!

Hi Murray .. one little thing that I, in my fix mode would do .. if you lessen saturation of the purple and blue to the viewer right of the biggest tallest tree, that will allow you to freely travel from the landscape to the sky. Their present saturation stops me dead in my tracks.
............. only a note in hoping it might help you sometime.
Hi Wayne. Yes I agree, as always helpful. In the new painting I was going to try a misty cloud rolling in to the background. I think I just got carried away with winter 🤪 Thanks

The paper has that MT look - some texture and a nice tone. You did a wonderful job! Your bright foreground colors look tender and new under that gray sky. Great light!
Hi Terri. Thanks for the input. Yes the paper is like MT maybe even more textured on the front. Too much for me but it's all I had to hand

Back