Pink Poinsettia

Joy

Contributing Member
I finished this yesterday, but it was too dark out to take a pic. The last several days we have had -20C air temp and horrible winds. This is watercolor, 7 x 11, on Arches 140CP. That was worlds better than working on that cellulose sketchbook paper. It is over worked, and the whites I saved were either too much or too little, so I ended up using a wee bit of white gouache. Since I don’t like the color pink or painting flowers, I wanted to try something out of my comfort zone in an attempt to learn.

141CEA3B-42FD-4F31-B06D-D1A3A5B730AD_1_201_a.jpeg

You have done a very good job on this, Joy. Very realistic. Well done for doing something out of your comfort zone.

CaliAnn, Margaret, Wayne, and Penny - Thanks for looking and being so encouraging!

Wonderful! I do wish the middle was more, how do you say? Rendered in focus like the pedals? I love it though--how brilliant it is. It gives me pause and draws me in. Excellent work! ♥️

Ayin, Thanks for your kind words and suggestion. The center was not what I had envisioned, but then again, most of my paintings rarely are! I used too masking fluid, then had to do a lot of adjusting.

Nice work Joy and I think you have the right approach in challenging comfort zone... no fear, it is only art :)

Zoran

Zoran, too right! I just need my emotions to work in sync with my intellect.

This is such a beautiful painting, Joy! Your comfort zone might just have to include more like this! I have a tiny little tube of watercolor called Opera pink. It's the only way I can use pink at all when I get my watercolors out. I like how you were able to get a variety of pinks in your piece; some are more peachy and some lean toward blue for a very natural look.

Donna, Thank you for your sage input. I did use some Opera in this, more of a glaze. I intended to use a lot more but found the neon like hue to be unnatural in most areas. It is also a fugitive pigment. That does not concern me, as I am hardly producing great works that will be viewed for decades. :)

This turned out beautifully, Joy - and it's a success because of stepping outside your comfort zone. It's hard to do, and you tackled both subject matter as well as palette. Your pinks are lovely! Great job with the scalloped edges, too. You did great. :)

This is beautiful Joy, lovely blending on the petals. Good on you for stepping outside of your comfort zone 🙂

Keep in mind that with watercolor, the result is seldom if ever what we envision before starting; it will always vary. Practice is what will give you confidence in time. This poinsettia is nicely done. Other media can be used to boost the final product if this one is too ho-hum for you. To enhance colors and provide a bright spot you can employ colored pencils, acrylics, Caran d'Ache watersoluble wax crayons, Derwent pencils, etc. With my students I even have them adding bits of collage paper, handmade paper from gelli plate, cocktail napkins, etc. We have seen and made some remarkable works. Sorry for rambling...

Oh, Kay, you never ramble! Your sage advice is always most welcome. It does look a bit brighter in person, as I used a glaze of Opera pink in some areas. Mixed media is becoming very popular. I do have some Derwent Graphitint, and and stating to do bit of ink/wash, but I really don't want to be a "collector" of supplies. There are many tubes of watercolor and a lot of paper in my possession, so I want to try to work with that as much as possible. THe artists that can work in several media have my utmost admiration.

Back