pencils, gouache, and oil pastels

ntl

Contributing Member
Can anyone tell me about KingArt Oil Pastels, (set of 50) Royal Langnickel pencils, (set of 12) or Royal Langnickel Essentials Gouache (24 in box)?
Have you used them? Student, artist, or professional quality? Thanks.

Terri may know. She has a lot of experience in oil pastels. But I don't know about the gouache pencils. I didn't even know they made those.

Royal & Langnickel are a student quality brand but I haven't used these products. I don't know about KingArt.

Sorry, punctuation is off:
KingArt Oil Pastels, (set of 50)
Royal Langnickel pencils, (set of 12) B to B6, HB, H2 to H6
Royal Langnickel Essentials Gouache (24 in box)

Thanks. I thought I posted, so now I did! :)
I've used a couple of the pencils on bond paper. To my very inexperienced hand, they seem to be better than the Artist Loft pencils I got years ago. They feel soft and smooth, easy to lay down.
Haven't opened the other two boxes yet. Actually, I'm going to take a nap! zzzzzz.....

Thanks. I thought I posted, so now I did! :)
I've used a couple of the pencils on bond paper. To my very inexperienced hand, they seem to be better than the Artist Loft pencils I got years ago. They feel soft and smooth, easy to lay down.
Haven't opened the other two boxes yet. Actually, I'm going to take a nap! zzzzzz.....
I haven't heard of these brands. I'm always interested in trying new OP's, but believe there are more student-grade out there than artist grade.

That's always been my disclaimer when chatting with folks about oil pastels. While one can get decent results with student grade acrylic paint, soft pastels, and other media, inexpensive/student grade OP's are usually really hard to work with. They're only made up of oil, pigment and wax, so the inexpensive student grade will generally have ratios that are waxier, drier and crumbly. So people's experience with them is that they're a difficult medium, when artist grades actually glide and blend quite well. But it's hard to put out more money trying a new medium!

All that said, I looked at the colors in the box online, and all those pale blues sure look nice! For the small investment, it might be fine.

Can't answer at all on the Royal Langnickel brands - my only pencil set is Blick. :ROFLMAO:

I'm really interested in hearing your results, ntl! I didn't realize you already had them in hand - sounds like a holiday gift! ;) Let us know!

Hello ntl. I have a set of the pencils and a couple of them do have a hard spot here and there. Also the 6B is harder than the 4B in my set.. I bought this little set to keep at work for my free-time sketches, its been in my work backpack for a few years, so I don't know if they made any improvements since then.

Back