Seascape reworked

P. Barrie

18”x14”, oils on stretched canvas
I Painted this last year from photo ref….then, after some relooking/rethinking, I worked on this today to change some values and color.

This pic is taken with my Ipad in at 3:00 PM, in light from a south facing window. No elec lights on. It is very close to what my eye sees when looking at the painting. Here, It is on my easel where I painted it.

0C5CB2F4-DE58-4D37-B2EF-0C6F44ED4296.jpeg

This pic was taken right after the first, in light from a north facing window. Again the pic looks very close to what my eyes see in that room. Again, no elec lights on. Different color temps to my eyes.
1484A3A7-E7C9-4E09-BFE1-D1D2C0074305.jpeg

Something to consider 🤔

Attachments

• 64CE72A9-6872-41D5-BD0F-1B48D2605E6F.jpeg
    64CE72A9-6872-41D5-BD0F-1B48D2605E6F.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 46B3E8E8-EB3B-47EC-9CA7-214E2138C122.jpeg
    46B3E8E8-EB3B-47EC-9CA7-214E2138C122.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Very pretty painting. Good action and I like the unusual perspective. ❤️❤️

Nice one; great feeling of looking over the edge. Taking photos of artwork is more frustrating to me than any part of making the artwork!

Wow, big difference in light/color! Nice painting. I like the south facing one a little more?, the greenish water looks more natural to me.

Yeah it's amazing how the photos and/or monitor can make a painting look so different.

Sno, Donna, John, Thanks! 😊
The photo perspective grabbed me. California looking south down the coast I think.
Taking photos can be a pain…and my ipad seems inconsistent or over sensitive at times. I should set up a tripod and use a better camera.

Beautiful! I like what you did with the color changes, but I do agree with John about the greenish water being more natural. The perspective is awesome. A tripod is a good little investment. Isn't the California coast remarkable?

Thanks Ayin, yes the first pic is truer. it was taken in the light that I painted in.

I have several tripods, three older, all metal and pretty heavy duty. Got them cheap at the local Re-Use center. One is made for video cameras and has a 12lb. holding capacity. That one is for my larger plein air setup.

Only been to California once. Flew out and rented a car. We drove up the coast and stopped several times at overlooks, really beautifu!

Fine vista. Lovely gently moving water, and not so ragged rocks. Beautiful.

Arnie, thanks. 😊
The rock face has some kind of growth on it. I tried to capture the green tone. A struggle, so I eventually said “close enough”.

Back