Park Vista

Bongo

As soon as I took out my kit, the thing holding the strap on the bag broke. Could be the start of a bad omen.
bag144422.jpg

Since there is no parking anywhere close, I had a bit of a hike to get to my spot across from the Park Vista.
The Park Vista is a Co-op built in 1928 - I'm just painting one end of it.
drawing131244.jpg

About the bad omen thing - comes in threes right. (#2)To do a vertical less than 15" wide requires a cross piece to set the panel on - I forgot to bring it so I had to balance the panel on top of my brush washer. Few raindrops on the drawing.
block243212.jpg

blockin.jpg

(#3) a "drizzle" melting my block in. I stayed the course as long as I could but ended up finishing about half the painting in the studio.

Park Vista - oil on 18" x 14" panel
comments welcomed
ParkVista.jpg

Last edited:
I shouldn't have, but I had my doubts when you started, thinking it wasn't going to be a great composition. But was I ever wrong. This is really compelling and I love it! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Reactions: ams
This turned out really well! Thanks for showing the progress shots. It's helpful to see how you developed this painting. I like that there is plenty of quiet sky space in addition to the graphic complexity of the building - and all those windows!

I shouldn't have, but I had my doubts when you started, thinking it wasn't going to be a great composition. But was I ever wrong. This is really compelling and I love it! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️
I agree completely. I not good at spotting subjects will make a good painting but you obviously are. What a wonderful finish. (y)

I love your street scene, and this beautiful building! ❤

I want to walk down that sidewalk from having lunch at an outdoor cafe, and go visit someone inside your building.

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I show progress shots for Plein air painting because every time it's a little different and the experience seems part of it. The Park Vista is a co-op and the units are 1,200 sq.ft. and up. What made this comp for me was all the graphics on the street - the crosswalks forming an arrow that points to the building, the yellow lines coming in from the sides that intersect the arrow. But I have to find buildings with fewer(or no) windows next time.

Bongo, your excursions are so interesting! You manage to “find the music” where others may only see the dull side.
And your final product is excellent. Generally, I really dig your style of simplifying the scenes in front of you and then giving them something that’s kind of “naive” (imho) and with a harmonious and limited palette. Did I say too much?…😆

Real fine plein air work! I like the juicy paint and I like seeing the stages, thanks for posting them.

Great result. Your travails bring back fond memories of my long ago PA days; and you are right about a PA usually having a different feeling than a studio work.

I find it interesting that your vantage point for this seems to be the on the level of the 2nd floor, even though you were painting from street level.

Thanks Barrie -
Trier- I don't know what's up with my POV - I've done that on several PA now - where I paint as though I'm higher up. It's something I've become aware of and am trying to correct.

I remember in this case I was actually a little below street level and there were steps in front of me up to the street. It was my original intention to include those steps - but after I was into it, I realized the steps would take up the whole foreground and would be difficult to get all the perspectives right.

Last edited:
Thanks Barrie -
Trier- I don't know what's up with my POV - I've done that on several PA now - where I paint as though I'm higher up. It's something I've become aware of and am trying to correct.

I remember in this case I was actually a little below street level and there were steps in front of me up to the street. It was my original intention to include those steps - but after I was into it, I realized the steps would take up the whole foreground and would be difficult to get all the perspectives right.
Hey Bongo, I think your POV ability is an asset and if you could turn it on or off as you want it, that would be something valuable. You apparently can adjust perspective on the fly as you paint without having to think about it to get that elevated POV. Your painting reminded me of the elevated view of "Pont Nuef" by Renoir, who had to paint from a 2nd or 3rd floor window to get that view.

Bongo, the final "Park Vista" is a successful painting. I like the colors and composition. Also, I find this scene is quite difficult to paint. You did so well! I like your progress shots too. Looks like you found a calm and protected place to paint.

Trier, Moscatel Thank you kindly.

Moscatel - are you named after that hobo's choice wine?

Ha, consciously not because I don't like wine, I never drink it even though we always have full bottles in fridge. I picked the name after the moscatel grapes which are my favorite, and beautiful still life models. Light shines through those grapes. Although it's very rare to get that kind of grapes 🍇 from here, I usually find them in southern Spain.

Though I've never tried it, I would still think "Moscatel" wine is better than Manischewitz! :ROFLMAO:

I like this a lot. I tend to look down on things as well .. I wonder why. Hmmm. I always like your textures and strokes. Colors good, too.

Hostajunkie, Jo - thanks

Arty, do you remember "Manischewitz - man oh man whatta wine!"

Moscatel was for special occasions - Ripple - at $1 a bottle was for every day. I tried it once, straight from the bottle as it was meant to be drunk (pun intended). Got one gulp down and that was it - scratched off my bucket list. They no longer make Ripple - I read where unopened bottles go for $200. plus. Good luck finding an unopened bottle of Ripple.

Back