Paper and oil

After saying all that......for this next oil on paper I am going to use Elmers No Wrinkle Rubber Cement to adhere it to a panel. Says it's acid free. They use it for photos.

I've used it in the past successfully and sort of forgot about it but I just found an old dried up empty bottle in the garage and some had leaked out. The rubber was still very pliable and not too sticky. Can still pull it apart. So it's not as permanent as regular contact cement and can be removed in the future if needed. Also it allows some positioning of the work early on in the process. And not being water based it doesn't cause warping of the paper.

I'll post an update when complete.

I have found that over a long period of time that rubber cement stops sticking, and the paper will fall off, but that's only been my experience.

So I like the above Elmers no-wrinkle rubber cement. I put down a generous layer. The paper can be moved for a while. After 24 it sets up tacky-sticky. It's strong enough to hold the paper down but one can pull the paper off without tearing if careful.

It's not nearly as smelly as contact cement.

Now, for thick papers and large sizes it may not be strong enough. And I would not coat with water based coatings afterwards due to possible warping of the paper. For oil paper paintings this is not an issue.

As Ayin has experienced it may dry up and lose adhesion in maybe ten years? .. but I would rather that than a one way permanent adhesion that is very difficult to correct later. As a collage adhesive it's probably not a good idea.

I've been doing this kind of thing for a couple of decades. There are so many variables with this stuff. But to adhere oil paper paintings to panel I think it's a good solution. I would use it for watercolors also. Or even canvas paintings to panel. You can get it in quart sizes. I think it's weak removable flexible bond is it's strength. And it won't cause paper to warp with moisture.

Last edited:
Back