Paper and oil

Enyaw

namuh
Has anyone had any success in gluing paper to heavy card or Masonite panel. I glued a piece using white glue and it warped my 1/4 Fibrex panel. That's the panel with melamine on one side of it.

Anyone point to a good glue?

I haven’t tried this yet, Wayne, but remember that Michael Chesley Johnson explained how to do it on his blog. If the link doesn’t work look up “Mounting finished paintings on paper to board“ on his blog. I wonder if acrylic gel medium would work? It’s a pretty strong adhesive and I think mixed media people use it for this purpose but I’m not sure.

Thank you Donna .. I will have to look to see if I can find that glue. I suspect I may have a problem putting an 11 x 14 paper on an 11 x 14 panel .. shrinkage .. maybe. I don't know. But anyway, I will try to find that particular glue. Yes, acrylic gell will act as a glue. I'm in no big hurry as it's just another experiment to see if there is a way that works for me.

Have you considered a pressure sensitive mounting film, such as Drytac's MediaTac? It's designed for just that purpose. No water or liquid, so no warpage issues.

I'll follow this with interest because I'm in the same boat. I want to mount some oil painted paper on board. The problem with all these water based glues is they tend to expand and contract paper and wood as they go from wet to dry. I've tried using spray adhesive but sometimes not all of it stays attached.

That Drytac might work but looks expensive and I'm wondering how it would work on the somewhat rough surfaces of the oil paper.

Perhaps contact cement is an answer, like they do laminate on countertops. But you better get it right the first try.

Another thing is to have the paper slightly larger than the board and then trim it after adhering to the board. I've also used my radial arm saw to crop the whole mess later. A table saw could work also.

Maybe coating the back of the paper first with some acrylic coating and letting dry, then using the glue or acrylic medium and weighting between boards and books thing. By coating the surfaces first it will not absorb water and expand/contract. I think that's what I'm going to try next.

Some people use acrylic medium as an adhesive, which is flexible, neutral, et cetera, but I don't know if the water content would be less than the glue you used.

I also use a clear acrylic medium called Nova Color Gel; it's a polymer. Been using it for many years and it works very well. I use it on canvas and board for all my collage. I like using the mat version because I don't like the gloss shine to it. It dries clear and you can even use it as a primer, and paint over it in acrylics and/or oils. I also use it for fabric. Is sometimes can bubble or wrap if there's not enough of it on the back of the paper (air bubbles), so you just have to make sure you spread it evenly (while it's wet) on the surface. Don't use Elmers.

For paper onto paper, you can use professional paper glue that is used in bookmaking. It is any brand of archival neutral PH adhesive. The same goes with this in spreading it evenly, but on the back only. Try not to get any on the front.

With the polymer onto to board (masonite, canvas, etc.) You can spread it on both sides.

No shrinkage, no. I've been using this for over 30 years. I have only used cold wax medium a couple times and would never use it as an adhesive. You can use the polymer under oils.

Here are a few pieces where I have used it:

3-mile-roaddetail.jpg

bandolierdetail.jpg

bigfishdetail.jpg

evesdilemmadetail.jpg

Thank you. Nice work. I use cold wax in the paint, not as an adhesive. I am assuming that any brand of polymer would work. I can't find Nova in my little neck of the woods.

Last edited:
That Drytac might work but looks expensive and I'm wondering how it would work on the somewhat rough surfaces of the oil paper.
I'd be happy to do an experiment for you (I have a large roll of it.) My wife does watercolor; is that paper similar in texture to what you use?

Thank you Grant but that is too expensive for my pocket book. If I were selling it would definitely be a consideration. Thank you for your generous offer but not at the moment. I have not used watercolor paper but for sure it is different as it is treated for use with oil paint. 136 lb. I can order some polymer next time I get supplies. Again, thank you for the offer.

I don't suggest you try this but I took a little 5 x7 inch painting on paper I did months ago. I wrung it out like you would a face cloth. I wanted to see if the paint would crack. It didn't. Sorry I did not take a picture but it was rumpled like a wet rag. I then smoothed it out with my hand and applied water to the back of the painting and placed it under some weight for the night. It came back to close to original shape aside from a few small wrinkles: but nothing serious. I then took acrylic paint and applied it to a wood panel and then stuck the painting on the panel using the acrylic paint as my glue. Put it under weight and a few hours later .. good firm mount. However, polymer medium would be better as it has no color. But acrylic paint is harmless to the paper we all know it sticks to almost anything. Ready for makert.. LOL ... painting is mounted. I once left a painting on Duron Hardboard out in the winter snow and in spring is was still in good shape.
11.jpg

Has anyone had any success in gluing paper to heavy card or Masonite panel. I glued a piece using white glue and it warped my 1/4 Fibrex panel. That's the panel with melamine on one side of it.

Anyone point to a good glue?
I have used medium to glue all kinds of things like fabric to canvas, paper to Masonite, canvas to canvas and paper to canvas using this. I put a piece of paper over the glued piece and roll it to make sure that the medium spreads evenly and to get rid of bubbles. Take your time when you glue something until the medium starts to dry. I don’t usually have to put a weight on it but if it is just something 11x14, you can press it with something heavy but I never had to do that.
7480A124-A7B0-46CB-B9B4-48B7B7A572D8.jpeg
F8A18BD5-76E4-4451-A47E-818A8A5415AC.jpeg

Wayne, I didn't know an oil painting on paper would be so flexible. I can't believe the paint didn't crack when you wrung it like that!

Desforges, thanks for the tip about taking your time while the medium starts to dry. I think I would like to check to make sure roof lines or horizons are lined up properly before it's too late to adjust it on the board. I guess the smart thing would be to have some kind of marking on the back of the paper that corresponds with a straight edge. I'm planning to try this and trim the paper after it's mounted and would hate to see that it came out crooked.

Thank you Desforges.. I need me a roller

Donna. It must be the wax in the paint. Although wax dries beeswax stays softer than some others waxes. I have to find one of my first on paper and try that again.

I recently adhered newspaper to a stretched canvas. After 3 failed tries, where the paper buckled, I coated the back with clear gesso and smoothed it onto the canvas, let that dry thoroughly, and then painted over it with the clear gesso. It turned out very smooth and the newspaper shows nicely. I have it ready to paint when the spring thaws come.😄

Back