Online class project

jmfletch

This was completed using CarbOthello pastel pencils on Canson Mi-Teintes paper (9x12in). Left the tape on and it dried out and I pulled it off without thinking. Overall I am happy with it. Learned a lot.

3CCF3602-841F-4DC3-8789-9CF04FB04285.jpeg

Joe

So sorry about the tape. But this is beautiful! I love your bubbles and those pearls. ❤️ The hair is amazing. ALL of it is excellent, just filled with detail. I keep looking at it all over, and it's just expertly done. Great job!

What we all need is a "delicate" tape that is actually delicate. Hmmpph!

Terri, Joe and Jo - Thank you for taking time to comment and suppor. It is very much appreciated.

This was completed using CarbOthello pastel pencils on Canson Mi-Teintes paper (9x12in). Left the tape on and it dried out and I pulled it off without thinking. Overall I am happy with it. Learned a lot.

View attachment 28832
Joe
Beautiful pastel work Joe! I think all pastel artists have done that with the tape, at some time. I know Ive left the tape on my Canson MiTeintes paper too long, many times, with that result!

Beautiful pastel work Joe! I think all pastel artists have done that with the tape, at some time. I know Ive left the tape on my Canson MiTeintes paper too long, many times, with that result!
Thanks for sharing the pain Viv.

I buy the purple or blue stuff i
I use the green from the dollar store .. one thing I did learn was pull toward the edge of the paper and not from the edge. If taped on top pull your tape upwards lightly and if down pull downward and left is left and right it right. If you come down on the edge you pick up fibers and the paper peels .. works for me but I take my tape off once the painting is done which is same day .. hours in fact.

It releases pretty easily from paper in my experience. In my job in the darkroom of an aerial photography, we used it on the face of photos that were to be cut into "mosaics" and then secured by strong mylar tape on the backside. It was low-tack and never pulled up any part of the photos. (What we called "mosaics" was a way of trying to pattern-match features on the ground. The terrain was flown in stereo by - ideally - flying in overlapping lines at the same altitude. Nine x nine inch negatives.)

It's kind of expensive :-(

It releases pretty easily from paper in my experience. In my job in the darkroom of an aerial photography, we used it on the face of photos that were to be cut into "mosaics" and then secured by strong mylar tape on the backside. It was low-tack and never pulled up any part of the photos. (What we called "mosaics" was a way of trying to pattern-match features on the ground. The terrain was flown in stereo by - ideally - flying in overlapping lines at the same altitude. Nine x nine inch negatives.)

It's kind of expensive :-(
Thank you for this! Expensive can be okay, because the price of certain art papers is also expensive. It's annoying to finish a work and then see some peeling/tearing from the freaking tape.

(An aerial photographer?!? You're soul cousins with my husband.) ❤️

I also use drafting tape, but sometimes, even that is too sticky for me. I wind up sticking it down and off on the table a few times before using it on my good paper, trying to get the "stick" out of it.

I remember looong ago, perhaps 20 years, I could find some double-sided adhesive tapes msanufactured by "Tombow" with one side fully adhesive and the other one slightly adhesive, like the Post-it yellow note papers. This tape (5-6 mm wide) was in small plastic dispensers same as those of the white correcting tape for office documents. This kind of tape could be a solution. I don't find it lately and don't know if it can be available.
I remember well that there were then 2 types available: permanent and temporary.

Back