On Lead and Zinc 'Flake white'

Marc

Flake white as a zinc mix, not pure a lead white. (The name isn't always used reliably.) How many here are still using this? I haven't for many decades despite it having good yellowing resistance in safflower, I found it no more flexible than a well proportioned titanium and zinc white. In more recent years the Smithsonian did some oil paint tests which matched my own limited ones. Apparently when zinc and lead white are mixed, the embrittling zinc oil soaps are formed in far greater quantity than the flexible lead ones. So you may as well be using titanium zinc white instead.

My opinion is that lead zinc white is redundant tech still hanging around (if ever less so) from before titanium white became a common pigment. Yes, it's less brittle than straight zinc, and less yellowing than straight lead. But it's been made far less essential and is still here because it's believed to be very flexible (but isn't) There will be a mixing difference of course, as the titanium will be more cool and stronger. Apart from this, one is getting the drawbacks of both the lead and the titanium and zinc. The toxic nature of the lead and the embrittleness of the zinc.

Because of the tests like those from the Smithsonian, there has to be a parting of the ways. If you use lead white, you (logically) shouldn't use zinc oxide containing paint, and if you use zinc there's no point in using lead. (Use one of those "warm white" mixes if this effect is needed.)

Back