Night Moths

musket

I forgot all about this. I did it on an 8808 PC back in the Stone Age with a primitive drawing program and printed it out with a dot matrix Okidata printer. No matter what I did, I couldn't get that heavy black line out of the top border.

nightmoths.JPG

Thanks Arty. I do too. It's very atmospheric, and has some of the feel of a Japanese print with the diagonal rain they were so fond of. I'd completely forgotten it and just came across it while looking for something else. I like the way the larger of the two moths (if that's what they are) escapes from the boundaries, into the border. 1989, I think.

Thanks sno. It looks like the larger moth has yet to completely fly into the background, which I also like. Just one of those things that turned out well. The computer was tiny, I used it with a hand held scanner to put together the newsletter for the music store where I was working at the time.

Penso che sia anche geniale concepirlo nella tua mente (pensalo) una cosa del genere.
ma è anche un lavoro meraviglioso. soprattutto un bellissimo lavoro.
genio

I can get the gist of what Joe says, but I wind up having to translate it so I can get the full experience. :)
I was never able to write Italian myself, but reading it is even easier than hearing it. When I speak it, it's pretty awful, but I can be understood--although, I do sound like an idiot. :LOL:

thank you for reading anyway.
I only realized the next day (seeing it) that I had written in Italian, in sending the post I had not realized ... (this is the second time this happens to me in the forum, thanks for your patience) I thought then of having you le le excuse (the forum is in English, I didn't want to be rude or make understanding difficult) fortunately, however, you had read, understood equally and you were not offended for lack of English.
Ditto for Artyczar, thanks,
yes, Artyczar,
I can read English, or at least I happen to use vocabulary less than in the past,
but to write it, but above all to listen to it is more difficult, to read it I find it easier, to speak it ..., it is not easy for me,
a bit like you said, but on the contrary, english is a very important language, which seems to be widespread a little ,, seriously it is definitely important and it is right that you try to improve, it does not seem but I am trying, something that I think of having to do and when I see an English film or TV show, use subtitles but no longer dubbing,
maybe dubbing in the US is not used, I think it is more our custom but considering the nuances and the extraordinary acting of many wonderful actors in the original maybe both to enjoy the film and to try to learn English. dubbing I think they have not helped me and that I have to give up the dubbing in Italian when I can.

sorry for the off topic, Musket thanks for sharing,

I just wanted to thank you again for letting us admire such exceptional and beautiful works, thanks for your wonderful art.
browsing the forum is a joy for the heart and eyes, thank you very much.

Joe, I used to go to subtitled movies when I was in Milan to pass some time and learn a little better and it helped a lot.

Thanx folks. I actually did it in between working on the newsletter for the guitar shop where I was working at the time. Took maybe half an hour. Just one of those things that came out right.

Sometimes, those are the best things. I'm a big believer in that stuff (obviously). It's more about the idea and the composition, but in this case you have everything going on, including technique and skill.

Thank you, Arty. One flaw I can see is the alignment of the second moth's right wing with the dark diagonal... it would have been better and had more implied motion if moved a little forward. These tiny adjustments do make a difference.

The outer edge of second moth's right wing is positioned exactly on the edge of the dark diagonal. Move the moth just a wee bit closer to the border in your mind, so that the corner of the wing clears the diagonal, and see what happens.

I was constantly aware of stuff like this in composing my carvings, in particular when mounting a bird on a branch. Look at this guy-- you see how he leans just a little bit to his left? It looks like he's got more weight on his left foot than on the right. He's looking at something he's decided to go after for lunch and is preparing for take off. The idea was to create the illusion of motion about to happen, rather than freezing a moment in time, which is what most carvers go for.

It took many tries to get this right without him seeming static or off balance.

WalkerLooksOver.JPG

The outer edge of second moth's right wing is positioned exactly on the edge of the dark diagonal. Move the moth just a wee bit closer to the border
I can absolutely rely to caring for such small details.
Feel the same looking at a work of art (be it my own or by others) and even in real life, like sitting on a table: I often start moving around the objects till I find the composition (from my ankle) satisfying - and the point is exactly what you name:
The perfect matching or touching of two lines or edges from different objects drives me crazy! Or two lines being either too parallel or 90° or 45° . . . this HAS to be fixed, so that the lines cross in different ankles.
I must have some compulsive-disorder.

Of course, your picture is still marvelous, though.

Back