Nicknames/Pseudonymns/nom de plume?

Hermes, for quite some time I used this as my avatar. It in no way resembles me... at least not since I was 18... and even then... :rolleyes:

Antinous5.sm.JPG

JennieJo was created as a bit of fun when showing friends how to create email accounts on 2005. There was bobbie_jo, john_jo and eisy_baby. Good memory that keeps giving 😀

Musket is a nickname that I have always liked very much, it made me think of musketeers, out of assonance, and musketeers are the protagonists of one of my favourite novels. Then I read somewhere, the translation of that word, and I think I have perhaps read a post where birds of prey is silent, thinking about his wonderful sculptures, I liked his nickname even more, as I like the fantastic artist and the person he was. My nickname, I can't choose names, I didn't think of a name, I thought this, because it's almost the English translation of my name, it's also the protagonist of a funny movie, a protagonist that I don't remember, that actor and first swimming champion was a giant, a giant who therefore played a good giant here and in his other films, C but they were wonderful and well-made films, in the last 20 or 30 years Italian cinema has rarely done anything of that level.

Musket is a nickname that I have always liked very much, it made me think of musketeers, out of assonance, and musketeers are the protagonists of one of my favourite novels. Then I read somewhere, the translation of that word, and I think I have perhaps read a post where birds of prey is silent, thinking about his wonderful sculptures, I liked his nickname even more, as I like the fantastic artist and the person he was. My nickname, I can't choose names, I didn't think of a name, I thought this, because it's almost the English translation of my name, it's also the protagonist of a funny movie, a protagonist that I don't remember, that actor and first swimming champion was a giant, a giant who therefore played a good giant here and in his other films, C but they were wonderful and well-made films, in the last 20 or 30 years Italian cinema has rarely done anything of that level.
Hey Joe! This is for you:

Last edited:
I came up with KreativeK back in 2002, spelling creative with a K, then adding the initial again to shorten my middle name even shorter. So no real imagination. I do use KreativeKay on Painting Friends.

I mostly use the name Flo as its simliar to my real second name and it fits wiht my internet username Flowercat, which comes from my love of flowers and cats . But i also use Artistic_Garlic as a username sometimes,as its more unique and fits better wiht my creative work and it comes from love for garlic flavored foods and was a midnight idea.
I mostly use Flowercat for more Forum Account and Artistic_Garlic for bigger sites like Instagram

Last edited:
I mostly use the name Flo as its simliar to my real second name and it fits wiht my internet username Flowercat, which comes from my love of flowers and cats . But i also use Artistic_Garlic as a username sometimes,as its more unique and fits better wiht my creative work and it comes from love for garlic flavored foods and was a midnight idea.
I mostly use Flowercat for more Forum Account and Artistic_Garlic for bigger and sites like Instagram

A group of us decided to use our real names a few years back. I like that I'm the same everywhere on my website, here, and at home. Jo is my middle name and I've used it forever... When I hear my first name I know it is personal business like IRS or health messages. They seem to like first names on legal documents. My art business is under Jo.

Reactions: amo
A group of us decided to use our real names a few years back. I like that I'm the same everywhere on my website, here, and at home. Jo is my middle name and I've used it forever... When I hear my first name I know it is personal business like IRS or health messages. They seem to like first names on legal documents. My art business is under Jo.
It makes for a nice greeting --- Yo Jo!!!

I was Ellen E over on Wet Canvas.

Grizabella is from the Catssss movie-----named after that bedraggled old glamour cat. It just reminds me of myself for some reason. I love sparkly things and I was quite the sight, I'm sure, back in my drinking and bar-hopping days. I've been sober now for 37 years but I still identify with old Grizabella.

Cranberry is the name of the neighbourhood I live. Years ago people used to come here to pick cranberries. I live next to a bog and the ocean, a perfect place for cranberries. My mother used "Cranberry Crafts" years ago and I play it forward.

Our choices of noms de plume can be revealing. I chose mine because of the character traits ascribed to Hermes (Mercury): he was the god of science and technology and the messenger of the gods. I am a scientist and I like to think of myself as a good teacher and communicator. Unfortunately I don't share his hunky good looks, as depicted in countess classical sculptures. 😢

Hermes is also big in occult philosophy.

Hermes Trismegistus is a legendary Hellenistic figure that originated as a syncretic combination of the Greek god Hermes and the Egyptian god Thoth.
He is the source for the hermetic texts which are the base for modern magic(k) and the occult.

Hermes is also big in occult philosophy.

Hermes Trismegistus is a legendary Hellenistic figure that originated as a syncretic combination of the Greek god Hermes and the Egyptian god Thoth.
He is the source for the hermetic texts which are the base for modern magic(k) and the occult.
Thank you so much for outing that darker side of my alter ego! I will not hold it against you, though. I carefully avoided mentioning it, while mis-spelling countless in my quoted explanation. Those characteristics are incompatible with my own science-based world view. 🔭

I did chose my screen name 20 years ago, for a music forum. Classical music (that I did study), my first interest on music, was rather marginal in that forum. By this screen name I wanted to make clear that I wasn't any expert on other musical domains. I kept this name in several other musical forums that followed that old (actually none of them survives) as well as in other subject forums like painting.

My avatar photo, the eclipse, comes from that old musical forum too. It was a square image with the black circle in the middle and the light effects around. However, newer forum software use a circular avatar form that comes from the social media world and the cellphone software. So, even if I provide a square image, the displayed avatar is a circular one and this makes that 2-circle shape that was not my first preference. Nevertheless I like the fact that it is quite simple.

:)

Back