Niche

M

Martin C

This is one of a series I'm doing in magenta & phtalo green (blue shade), having fun endlessly experimenting with depth and colour. Acrylic on card, approx 6.5" x 4.5"

niche.jpg

Love this. It looks a little like printmaking. And reminds me a little bit of a cityscape too. So many excellent elements here. Great decisions. There's so much about it that's fantastic! Well done!!!! ❤️

Thank so much Ayin! I agree, it does look printed, and there is in fact an element of pressing at the stage of the process where I'm 'subtracting' parts of the second paint layer. Some of the 'back and forth' horizontal marks in the dark region below centre are caused by me rubbing the side of my knuckle across the paper towel and you can also see the impressions of the bumps in the towel.

I gave it the name 'Niche' because the top-centre part looks like part of the land surface that is ecologically separated from its neighbours, and when adding the small bright patches that I think were called for I couldn't help thinking of them as creatures emerging from crevices and making their first contact with each other.

I love it too! I really like the blocks of green and the textures in the pink areas, and these colours work really well together. Also I really enjoyed your explanaiton of how you came up with the name.

I really love your palette here - so exciting, it just pops! I don't think I'll ever be able to do a good abstract, but I know one when I see one - and this is it! Big love! ❤️

Thank you for providing us with your thought process and and arriving at the name, too. I love reading stuff like this! Wonderful work.

It has a collage feel to it, in that it could be layers of thin, colored tissues applied over each other. Or an arrangement of transparent cellophane. Very nice!

Thank you all very much for your positive comments! You really encourage me to keep on exploring. :)

Oh wow! I really love this one too! Same kind of effect. Also gives a kind of silkscreen vibe, almost a fabric dye kinda thing. I love how you are able to get to this look. It's really compelling work! ❤️

Back