Namaste

ZenDruid

Supporting Member
I presented this earlier this year on WC, but it reminds me of a stained glass window so we'll regard it as a holiday greeting card :) The black calligraphy is Hindu Sanskrit for Namaste or "I bow to you", a polite greeting. After getting the background down, I thought it needed a strong top image so I covered it with blue painters tape and cut in the stencil - peeled out the waste - and then painted it in black. When dry, I pulled the tape away and voila. You can do this on a solid support, not so much paper or stretched canvas. Acrylics on 9x12 canvas board. C&C welcome.

1639863813537.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm blown away by how much I love this. ❤ It's gorgeous!!!

The accent made me think it was lettering of some kind, but I didn't think of Sanskrit. The colors, shapes, textures....it makes me happy just to look at it. It fills my eyes.

Om Shanti Om.

I'm blown away by how much I love this. ❤ It's gorgeous!!!

The accent made me think it was lettering of some kind, but I didn't think of Sanskrit. The colors, shapes, textures....it makes me happy just to look at it. It fills my eyes.

Om Shanti Om.
Thank you Terri, I'm happy you like it! :)

I like this one very much — especially the textures in the top left grey area, as you can imagine, given my proclivities!

This is an especially fetching painting, and compelling Zen. Really well-done craftsmanship too. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

It doesn't matter that you originally showed it on "WC!" (Whatever that means/not relevant.) If you can refrain from exclusive jargon, that would be appreciated. ;)

Anyway, I have never seen it before and I love it.

The colors, the blendings of colors, the streaks of light, the calligraphy, all play a part in this wonderful piece. Nice!

This is an especially fetching painting, and compelling Zen. Really well-done craftsmanship too. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

It doesn't matter that you originally showed it on "WC!" (Whatever that means/not relevant.) If you can refrain from exclusive jargon, that would be appreciated. ;)

Anyway, I have never seen it before and I love it.
Thank you Arty, I appreciate your comments and complements. :) I will never again mention The Unnameable (y)

Wow this is a vibrant and engaging piece! Thanks for explaining how and why you added the black shapes. I usually think that structure is formed at the beginning of a painting but you've just proved that it doesn't have to be that way. I wish this were much bigger but I always think awesome abstract work would look better if it were room size. :)

Wow this is a vibrant and engaging piece! Thanks for explaining how and why you added the black shapes. I usually think that structure is formed at the beginning of a painting but you've just proved that it doesn't have to be that way. I wish this were much bigger but I always think awesome abstract work would look better if it were room size. :)
Thank you Donna! :) I agree about the size, I would like to work larger. I did one piece years ago on a 4x4ish piece of rusty scrap metal, gave it to an art collector friend (she took it because the price was right). I think there's certainly more freedom to working large.
As far as beginning a piece, I rarely have anything specific in mind, just put down paint until something gels. Eventually it does, I may look at for days or weeks before that happens.

Thanks (y)

Thanks to everybody for your kind comments - Wayne, Terri, Hermes, Lazarus, Laika, Sno, Desforges, John, GrantCee, Arty, NTL, Donna. Going into these winter holidays, whatever your persuasion, I hope you're all warm, safe, well fed, optimistic and at peace with your loved ones. :)

Back