Mystic Mountain

ColorEnthusiast

Watercolor on Arches CP paper (30x40 cm)

This is the Untersberg a massif at the border between Bavaria and Austria and part of the Northern Limestone Alps. It is also the subject of numerous myths and legends, which are mostly connected to the huge cave system below the mountain. So it is stated that there is the entrance to a dwarf kingdom and there are still people believing in time anomalies happening there.

DSC00731_2_small.jpg

This Is so beautiful, Esther! The feeling of enormity and great distance comes across so well. I’m glad the myths and legends exist and hope the dwarf kingdom remains protected!

Thank you for your kind comments Penny, Margaret, Wayne, Patrick, Lamar, Donna, OleKobe and Jo.

Donna, the speleologists started to explore the cave system intensely in the last years.
Wikipedia: "The Riesending cave (German for "huge thing") is a pit cave in Untersberg, Bavaria. At 19,300m it is the longest and 1,148m the deepest in Germany.[1] Riesending was discovered in 1996 by Hermann Sommer and Ulrich Meyer."
Until now they haven't found any dwarfs. ;)

What a beautiful watercolor this is! The scene is gorgeous and I really get a feeling of the vastness of the area. I love the story behind these mountains. The whole thing is enchanting. I feel like I could swoop in and fly over the hills!

Thank you for your comments Terri, Arty and John.

And thank you John for answering Artys question.
To be precise I used cold pressed fine grain paper, that means a little bit textured. That is my workhorse paper, good for almost everything.
Hot pressed paper is very smooth, no texture.

Back