My new home made pochade box

john

I made this from various bits I had around. The back attaches to a tripod so I can have it for sitting or standing. It can close over the painting without touching it. I intend to use the side panels as mixing areas and the middle area for the painting. We'll see how that works out. Using just pallet knives so things are a little simpler.

Also new is the paint box.

I think I'm going to like this set up even for the studio. I'm painting small and I've never really felt comfortable with my easel set ups.. For plein air it's very portable.

CH-Oqk_JPorKPXNM4878QuFgvJdGu6BaXIr0shKgisI7au2OhckbsQsul-dZhp1yA4ejkB366IsPkf9PNUjhA9cZtuTmNN9V8dBosqKO-sA4XmBOXfpUqQQaoQpKnf26CL6ERsXY0G21DTR5OiTVgiXNs2DlzmyIizh4r-rwpxG8BvvmBgw9jPkXZYuCPzNj7Ml45mHw5AgP2ZZGvsEGLz1iEtobBUc3XodPbp4Ip4ah4ss5wpmb1Jt6sfqIF-A64Hyh9lnZBQAKJYyKiz8e0CIgjdqNtPEw4RUTFZ9c_frtVkuh_hav80k9dscbkPncDtimiNqoieCOSQSGDKKVnrLrPtuiRDKDVBHJCryjD2JCOb0tkgT0CxeNdeLZC-YPltTQjJUiJigiwkSVn8JOKJZkNVsspU1O0ycPtibunYn6sGoI_ODZFRY9USUsUomDde9uNgVcXgcAq2OwLCxHojCbeZ5Y6bOxZHiso-0q6lhsuR8oBZXVGY7zO-ni5jnflyqnuVB94Bc0VKf9xdPC3RF69fyvs9it3sNYRbQz1b-ul6cwpIGXxkluYkLusWkvRVZtN7cs1Ga_ozZ07Ux9dUlAw2e-EMvPCwFue252TJGpprNw4siDHvjclICi2RCm-jZ68v3ROoIp98ar1wzZnzVoaphobADSOP_ign6YR_YFzWUb0cczTuxJfJ-ON3dob-SnVWb6EV2ncWUe-GSOZHqe=w1190-h893-no

rfXZJ6eixu7PxZ4-ei3_d5rtx6vFHXSTewaRlqKnLQ2TuaMpkZHjZWb4AVinmlyUDd6W8-85WuIOzsAAWb6tFTx2mRcw2eE3o5CW2iEFVZYWqzk-TsEXKbgF2q-Q8ox4GCJcPnPXobcSsguKo2WIM4mWG8VQE4muzE7rXhF2SlFPimCimxQLDzJA0sZC1BSoJHtlftfbtyJyt5809Z1t4kALa_L83HCZa4BJ8ypzIWNGPzwkhXHH1PAZfg2wQjtuT3TlkgEmvJDu4QnxvNVLvYQErUG6oi3jXKP6CqL6YfU8E8uwNTbEcSP3V1TPgbC4jk2WrhZ5jesazwZx_LgpUTldwCuLf6pPjiHNCJwM-n-C8DHRrvMJ87iEVHXVycqh-2P8pONLk8EpiGQcmREhPiEZdvVsxm74ZzgWhyshezZhEpfC069PkcjiO6UGHpgX7yxr3kL3BeaySmRPbrAIIb_uEreLHE1xaX13imqFni7c5bKFX0rQzyczBapVczYk-08EqcAcUkkTNTr0RUXK45lfwPiWG335xWKHAm_ME4WzA_sMAOoCEElTMMeomPirJYC3qQFD-MIH2lPfbK-Nalmm-QM14gN7TLK3EYuMSxdgU6tDA8VXe5CDpVwywUuy41OdmpzCFLGbFD-zIJjXRM0nS_Lp-MjYD5Bi9z-wg0ZiLuL6cyBhiyCfbrnC5YiZbBwAY0nGxw0pFel7awZUri6I=w1190-h893-no

ingenious, love it. Only I'd worry about the wet palette being over the wet painting like that. If you put the piles of paint back in the paint box and just live the mixes would be safer - no?

Got my paint boxes today - three thumbs up for the big one. The little one is going back only because it's too small for what I need- might be perfect for watercolor or guache.

Last edited:
Very cool! I have that tripod, I think. It's for a camera, is it not? Maybe I just have something like it. I can't see the brand from here. I'd actually have to turn around in my chair. :ROFLMAO:

It's a good set up. I don't have much space either and sometimes I'd like to make it even smaller, but I think it's sufficient for now. I shouldn't complain.

ingenious, love it. Only I'd worry about the wet palette being over the wet painting like that. If you put the piles of paint back in the paint box and just live the mixes would be safer - no?

Got my paint boxes today - three thumbs up for the big one. The little one is going back only because it's too small for what I need- might be perfect for watercolor or guache.

Yeah I'll put any big globs back in the paint box, and if I use panel or paper to paint on there will be good clearance when closed.

I'm glad you brought up that box. I think it will be a neat solution. It's cool seeing all the colors through the bottom of it. Seems like one can see them better than even when on the pallet.

After I loaded the wells I smacked the box down on the desktop to settle all the paint low in the wells. I think if we do that and try to keep the box bottom-down, things should stay fairly clean. Mine's in the freezer right now waiting for me to stop talking about and actually start doing. :)

Very cool! I have that tripod, I think. It's for a camera, is it not? Maybe I just have something like it. I can't see the brand from here. I'd actually have to turn around in my chair. :ROFLMAO:

It's a good set up. I don't have much space either and sometimes I'd like to make it even smaller, but I think it's sufficient for now. I shouldn't complain.

Yeah, it's a camera tripod. A Torjim AX60. They have heavier duty ones but this was fairly inexpensive.

I have some space but it gets cluttered and small in no time. I guess I've had three different easel set ups of various sizes and types some homemade and they always seemed awkward or obtrusive. Doesn't help that I can't seem to settle on a size or kind of medium for my paintings. But I'm done doing anything large now. I'm running out of room on the walls and I'm not painting for sale to mansion owners or museums. Yet. :)

That looks very efficient John, we'll be watching for a bunch of plein aire paintings from you. :giggle:;)❤️

Thanks for sharing this, John. I love seeing what people come up with for DIY easels, paint boxes and such.

Very nice looking compact set-up. I hope it works out comfortably and practically for you.

Back