My Most Famous Moments

Very interesting, Nufocus. I had a brief fling with the S.o.F. back in the early Nineties. Canet, to be precise. We slept on the beach. Spanish Border guard refused us entry into Spain. "You English hooligan?" Our reputation preceded us.

Food can be pretentious?

Very interesting, Nufocus. I had a brief fling with the S.o.F. back in the early Nineties. Canet, to be precise. We slept on the beach. Spanish Border guard refused us entry into Spain. "You English hooligan?" Our reputation preceded us.

Food can be pretentious?
S.O.F.?

Sorry. South of France. Inspired, so to speak, by the Beats, we went "on the road" and nearly froze to death by a Calais motorway.

When I first met my wife I was living in a hotel in New York, courtesy of a film production company. We went back to my room one day and got quite amorous. The guy in the room next door banged on the wall and shouted 'Can't a guy get some God dammed peace in here' next day as I walked out the room the guy next door exited his room at the same time and we both got in the elevator. I looked at him, smiled and said. It's quiet in here isn't it? He returned my smile and we chatted. He never mentioned the noise, it was Barry Manilow (he's made enough noise). I shared that elevator with Larry King and numerous other people from basketball players to hotel workers for a few years. One winter I smoked a cigar outside of there and chatted to a guy so long and laughed so much that I was out there an hour or so. He was one of the highest paid actors in the world at the time and for a serious actor he was one of the funniest people I ever met. He gave me his number and asked me to keep in touch, but I never did. I'm not the most social human being.

When I first met my wife I was living in a hotel in New York, courtesy of a film production company. We went back to my room one day and got quite amorous. The guy in the room next door banged on the wall and shouted 'Can't a guy get some God dammed peace in here' next day as I walked out the room the guy next door exited his room at the same time and we both got in the elevator. I looked at him, smiled and said. It's quiet in here isn't it? He returned my smile and we chatted. He never mentioned the noise, it was Barry Manilow (he's made enough noise). I shared that elevator with Larry King and numerous other people from basketball players to hotel workers for a few years. One winter I smoked a cigar outside of there and chatted to a guy so long and laughed so much that I was out there an hour or so. He was one of the highest paid actors in the world at the time and for a serious actor he was one of the funniest people I ever met. He gave me his number and asked me to keep in touch, but I never did. I'm not the most social human being.
Wow, maybe, very cool!
You must listen to the opening lines of Paul Simon’s “Duncan”!! So appropriate!

I've personally known so many celebrities that have too many "stories," but some years before Michael Jackson married a friend of mine, I literally bumped into him shoulder to shoulder at the Beverly Center mall when he was coming off the escalator with two of his body guards. Those escalators aren't wide enough to hold more than two people across, so I guess that's how it happened.

I didn't believe it was really him. I thought it was someone pretending to be him--with the facemask and all. Then I watched them go into a clothing store and they locked it up just so Michael could shop in it privately. I'd realized who I'd bumped into, especially when Man in the Mirror (or some single from Bad) happened to be playing in the speakers of the mall. I'd never been "star struck" in my life, but I suppose I was in a way, realizing he was the most famous person in the world at that time.

Stupid me ran down to my car to find one of my business cards (as a musician, not an artist), hoping to catch him on the way out of the store, but alas he was gone by the time I got back. ...As if he'd call some drummer kid he'd met in the mall. Ha. I remember I had to pee so bad but ran to do that anyway. So foolish of me, but maybe it made me run faster.

I worked the counter out at a Montauk NY marina store and sold Dick Cavett some sunblock, for Mary Tyler Moore who he was taking out on a boat, and sold Capt Frank Mundus, the guy that the captain in the movie Jaws was modeled after, some cable. To harpoon big sharks with. What a character.

Speaking of Mary Tyler Moore, we used to make the patterns for her clothes/wardrobe during her show.

Early 1980's, I was a cleaner at Heathrow Terminal 2.
A passenger asks me if I have change for a 50 pence piece, I trade her
two ten pence pieces for her 50p.

10 minutes later I see a guitar flighcase labelled Eurythmics, at the 'phone kiosks
and then Dave Stewart pops his head out from the kiosk and asks me...
'Do you have any 50p's?' proffering me a pound note.

I gave him the one I had....ran to the office, grabbed a pen and paper, and got his autograph.

Back