My Most Famous Moments

1996....I was touring with 'Mice' and we had just had a full band sound check in the Manchester
BBC1 Radio studios with DJ Mark Radcliffe in prep for a live on radio session.
During the break Me and Ali Kane, keys, we're getting some chips in the chip shop across the road
and saw Mark in the queue ahead of us.
We said...." Hey Mark....Looking forward to it...."

He blanked us....ha haa
He had NO idea who we were.....

He did later, live on air, mention his embarrassment at not recognising us

Phil Brown ('Throttle' David Coulthards' race engineer) got us in the pits at Monza, 2008 and
while we were there Jackie Stewart ... as casual as a retail assistant would be, just
approached us saying....'would you like a picture?'

I have seen a couple of the famous, but never approached anyone. The famous, not unlike authority figures, bring me out in a horrible rash. I once invited a Page 3 model, who was big in the, uh, eighties, to a party.

I don't mingle with the upper echelon, but I did do several craft shows sponsored by Donna Douglas (Elly May of the Beverly Hillbillies) and had many conversations with her. She was a very friendly lady and always browsed around through each show and visited with the exhibitors and did her famous whistle for all the kids.

I know some locally famous people, but no international celebrities, or I would have marketed myself as "that artist who knows Tom Cruise." :cool:

I ran into John Wayne and chatted with him for 15 minutes every morning for a week in my flat building in London, when they were filming some scenes for a movie. I found him very cordial.

Another time, in the same flat, I answered the phone and a man asked to speak to the guy who was sub-letting to me. When I told the man he wasn't in, he asked me to tell my landlord that Ringo had called. Yes, it turned out to be the real Ringo Starr.

I've known many celebs. So what? I couldn't begin to write up my brush with them because they are all over the place. They're normal like you and me. Some just have a lot more money.

In my book I wrote something like, "yeah, don't all kids have their own line of designer luggage?" That was when I met some kids of a family of famous actors when I was growing up. I grew up with the kids of a lot of famous people and they always made me feel "abnormal."

I ran into John Wayne and chatted with him for 15 minutes every morning for a week in my flat building in London, when they were filming some scenes for a movie. I found him very cordial.

Another time, in the same flat, I answered the phone and a man asked to speak to the guy who was sub-letting to me. When I told the man he wasn't in, he asked me to tell my landlord that Ringo had called. Yes, it turned out to be the real Ringo Starr.
Ha ha...love it

In my book I wrote something like, "yeah, don't all kids have their own line of designer luggage?" That was when I met some kids of a family of famous actors when I was growing up. I grew up with the kids of a lot of famous people and they always made me feel "abnormal."

It is said, In London you are never more than six feet from a rat.

I guess, in LA, in the Eighties, you were never more than six feet from a Brat.

Gok Wan is a UK TV fashion celeb.
I saw him at Heathrow and .... being not a fan, I approached him and said...
' Hi, I recognise you....'
He gave me a smug smile....
I said...' You are that guy on the radio'.

His face dropped in disgust at my comment, then I motioned to him......
'Join Security Lane 4 for me please'.

Ha haaa

Don't fret (pardon the pun), not for nothing Gok Wan rhymes with Taliban.

I worked Heathrow.

Oh well.... I sincerely don’t mean to show off..... back in the 90’s I had a vacation apartment in one of the most beautiful villages ever: St. Paul de Vence (in the Cote d’Azure). In my stupidity I sold it after the dot com crash of 2001. The buyer: Liv Ullman! A good friend was the late Donald Pleasance who lived in the village the last few years of his life. There was never a shortage of the rich and famous in that wonderful village. Roger Moore, Bill Wyman blah, blah.... lived there. I saw Mick Jagger, Chris Martin, Elton John. I can’t say for sure that they saw me! 😂😂
FYI, Marc Chagall is buried there.
A local hotel - La Colombe d’Or - a small manor house that was converted into a hotel by the grandfather of the present owner, is, for me, the nicest hotel in the world. That same grandfather was an artist himself and in his wisdom took works of art in lieu of cash for long stays from the likes of Picasso, Braque, Bonnard, Miro, Sam Francis, Calder, Leger and others. So, nowadays there’s a collection hanging there in the lobby and the restaurant that can compete with a number of small museums.
I would certainly recommend to those who can get there (when the shitty virus is a thing of the past...) to visit the place. Or, for now, check their website online.

Back