Moche Men

OliveOyl

These posts and the pages move too fast…!! And now, because I’m sitting at the “big computer” where all my images are stored, I’ll pop one in. (And I just noticed there’s an Art From Life thread and maybe this goes better over there than in this part but really…does it matter in the overall scheme of life? No. No, it doesn’t.)

so babble babble babble…and anyway…before I moved…

I had finished painting #99 Moche Men and #100 Kitschables which were about “collections.” I had been thinking about the things we collect, and why, and how attached we get, and what happens when we don’t have those objects around anymore. This might have been sparked by the fact I was tossing crap out right and left in order to pack as lightly as possible. And so I wondered about the things I would like to collect and greedily possess but never could (MM), and about the things I could easily collect and have around to collect dust, but would rather not (K).

Yep, that’s how this mind works. And the idea seemed worth painting.

Both were 40x40 with the same nine-grid arrangement of objects, against a patterned background, but this was the more “successful” of the two. More or less, it was just an exercise…observing earth tones and shine spots on little potted men.

mm1.jpg

mm2.jpg

Wow! Are those wonderful objects as tactile as you have managed to portray...
When we speak of possessions, we automatically assume we possess, less that we are possessed.

You could double post. Management are ok with that.

Holy wow! These/this is so impressive, from the backgrounds to the subjects. I have always loved your work because it's not just well done/pristine and skilled, but it's thinking art. It makes me ponder about so much and look for more meaning. It's also so damn original. I have never seen any style such as yours, which makes it so intensely refreshing. This is simply amazing Olive. ♥️ ...and also you should get stars galore for all your efforts. I am no judge, but you should be rewarded for this in some form or another. ;)

I can hardly believe this - all your amazing details for each little potted man, and your layout - beyond impressive. Wonderful, Olive!

I really appreciate all your nice words…thanks!

But I also like to give some (more!) context to whatever paintings I post. Good or bad.

So for those that don’t know (and I didn’t), the ancient Moche civilization - 1st to 8th c. - flourished around what is now Peru and they were a pretty artsy bunch (architecture, ceramics, murals, jewelry). One of the things they made were these ceramic “stirrup pots” which held liquid but it’s unclear whether they were utilitarian or had some ceremonial purpose. There are many still in existence and once I saw them online, I couldn’t stop searching for them. BTW, they also created a lot of “sex pots” so you can go off and Google if you want some old-timey excitement.

My favorite thing about them was that they were modeled on actual people so sometimes, you’ll see the same guy (usually) in the form of a different pot. I love all their earthy tones, too and found them pretty adorable. Flies had some meaning to them, which I’ve now forgotten, and because they were also excellent metallurgists, I made a little golden fly border, as homage. It’s hard to “read that” from this bad picture (taken on a phone, lighting off on one side…ugh).

Anyway, I would love to own and handle them but of course, that can’t happen. They’re ancient! Unaffordable! Unposessable! So, it will have to remain unrequited love. As compensation, I decided I’m going to put this in the living room, above a chair (NOT a sofa). Hopefully, sitting underneath an ancient penis will unsettle any guests and they’ll never want to visit again.
(…she says only half-jokingly).

Like all your work this is amazing. A skill set I can't even imagine. Congrats on your move and hope it sparks you even more. Thanks for sharing.

What a fantastic idea. Things that you can’t really have but do have. I love the concept and your work is flawless. ❤️❤️❤️

Back