Mixing teal

ntl

Contributing Member
What colors can I use to mix teal with oil paint? The blues I have are cobalt, cyan, ultramarine, (and deep) cerulean, manganese, prussian.
I have a variety of greens: thalo, sap, viridian, chromium oxide, permanent green light, a few more.
thanks.

I am not an expert in any way. I do instinctual experimentation (I'm ashamed to admit) and would try the cyan with the perm green light to start and see where that got me. :ROFLMAO:

I have found that single pigment PG50 paint works well in mixtures, more so than teal mixed from blue and green. If you really want to mix from what you have, start with cyan or phthalo blue plus phthalo green.

Arty, though I asked re oil paint, I used your suggestion on an acrylic (my first ever). I had a cerulean on the paper and added permanent green light and a bit of white, and got an okay color for the area. I have few colors of acrylic, and was pleased with the result.
Hermes2020, thanks. I don't have any form of PG50. I think I have both thalo green and thalo green yellow shade in oil paint.

My opinion is pth blue and pht green. teal is kind of turquise. you can dig at Samuel earp or Tishcler, they both using this color most for their seascapes. i think Samuel mentioned once what can replace it if you dont have it.

I didn't know you had cerulean. I would have began there myself. That is my favorite blue when I paint. I am happy your are finding something that is working so far. ♥️

I don't know how to work acrylic. Me dumb.

I didn't know you had cerulean. I would have began there myself. That is my favorite blue when I paint. I am happy your are finding something that is working so far. ♥️

I don't know how to work acrylic. Me dumb.
Just mix phthalo blue with white. PB15 is the primery pigment in the cooler blue. so you just have to mix the phathlao blue and white with some PB7 (phth green) and you have Cerulean.

Just mix phthalo blue with white. PB15 is the primery pigment in the cooler blue. so you just have to mix the phathlao blue and white with some PB7 (phth green) and you have Cerulean.
I wasn't needing to make Cerulean, but thanks. Now I know! :) Ntl was trying to make teal.

Back