Melancholy

N

Nufocus

1111AE53-5A46-4667-983E-9FF7565913E9.jpeg

Oil pastels on paper.

Very striking piece - I love the palette, and the well-placed touches of stronger colour and highlights. And oil pastel - Wow! and How? Wonderful work with marks and texture - I have a bit of an unhappy relationship with oil pastels, but this is just the kind of effect I'd love to be able to achieve. Can I ask the size? And maybe if you'd say a bit about your oil pastel method...? It looks like you're managing to get them on very heavily.

Beautifully made! It makes me want to break out my oil pastels. They are a mess, but maybe? I love all your marks and little scratchings. The palette is, as always, brilliant. I have a similar composition from the way past, but it got water damaged and had to go into the garbage. It was someone's back facing a window like this. You did a way better job. Always jealous of your art. ;)

If I remember correctly, you posted this a while ago. But I'm not complaining! I still like it!

A beauty, Nufocus - an absolute beauty!

I love your palette, as well as your handling of the OPs. This looks beautifully layered - do you have any work in progress photos? I'd love to see your buildup process.

Also, what size and type paper is this? Do you use several different OP brands, or are these one brand?

Sorry for peppering you with the questions. I love OP and it makes me happy to see others do such exquisite work like this with them. ❤

Triss and Terri, as I’ve been going back and forth between two countries lately and this piece is in the other country….. I can not examine it. However, the paper is thick, no idea what the make was…. Possibly Talens (Dutch). In this particular case I think that there was another painting underneath (acrylics) which would explain the heavy texture. As for the oil pastels, I torture them….. pressing the heck out of them… almost abusing them… I don’t think that they are meant to be treated like that…. But that’s what I do. I use only one type: Panda made by Talens.
This piece is small: around 18X13 cm.
Arty and Donna, always greatly appreciated!!
Susan, you’re right. I did post it before. But hey, there’s a new audience here now…. Thank you!

Thank you!! I've heard of Pandas, but I'm not sure if they're even sold on my side of the pond. :) They look fat and yummy.

I've done underpaintings before, but usually with my cheap OP's, and blend with Turpenoid before moving on to softer OP's. Never used acrylics.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. It's a gorgeous work. ❤

You have so expressivly exploited the textural possibilities of oil pastels on this one. It looks like something carved or gouged in to being. A powerful effect!

Thank you!! I've heard of Pandas, but I'm not sure if they're even sold on my side of the pond. :) They look fat and yummy.
I've never heard of the Pandas, either. Must be the artists grade from Talens. You made a beauty with your Talens Van Goghs last week, IIRC. The Van Goghs are excellent for student-grade OPs, IMO.

You made a beauty with your Talens Van Goghs last week, IIRC. The Van Goghs are excellent for student-grade OPs, IMO.
Thank you! :) So, are the van Gogh OP's made by Talen?? Who knew?

Guess I should go look at the box. 🤣

Laika, I pressed as much as I could…. Thanks a lot.
Iain, thank you very kindly for the second time!
Perry, much obliged!

Thanks for sharing the extra info about your oil pastels and technique, Nufocus - much appreciated. I'm really happy to have found someone else who tortures theirs!

Well done Nufocus and fits the title perfectly. Or should I say the title fits the painting? :giggle:❤️❤️

Well, I haven't seen this one before but it bears more than a second glance anyway! ;) I identify with the feeling - we've probably all been there ... love the heavy textures and colours.
Like one or two others, I have a love-hate relationship with OPs - if I could use them like this, I might be happier! :ROFLMAO:

Back