Meh

Bartc

Was out with our Burlingame Plein Air Painters yesterday on Skyline in Woodside, CA. Deep fog, then sunshine. Wasn't feeling inspired and feel that my painting shows it! But others seem to like it.
Bell Ranch Aug 22.jpg

You may grow to like it more, once enough time has passed to disassociate your feelings of the day from the painting. There's technically a lot to like about this one- beautiful, rich palette, a pretty scene, and skillfully executed.

Hopefully you can look at it more kindly down the road! It's lovely. :)

You're all being really nice about this. Thank you. Still looks kind of "pointless" to me, but OK if it rings a bell. This is a lovely place with barns, horses, magnificent trees, forest, farm equipment and even panoramic views out to the ocean. But I have painted those same subjects several times before at this site, and it was nearly pea soup fog when we began. So I was drawn to a subtle vignette of the bright green and reddish plants against the gray fence that you see in the foreground. That's what I should have concentrated on, rather than the whole scene. To my preferences, this is literal, not lyrical. The latter is what I seek and why I'm not thrilled here. Apparently I'm too close to see what you see.

You're all being really nice about this. Thank you. Still looks kind of "pointless" to me, but OK if it rings a bell. This is a lovely place with barns, horses, magnificent trees, forest, farm equipment and even panoramic views out to the ocean. But I have painted those same subjects several times before at this site, and it was nearly pea soup fog when we began. So I was drawn to a subtle vignette of the bright green and reddish plants against the gray fence that you see in the foreground. That's what I should have concentrated on, rather than the whole scene. To my preferences, this is literal, not lyrical. The latter is what I seek and why I'm not thrilled here. Apparently I'm too close to see what you see.
This happens to me right after every single painting I finish by the way. I need a day or two before I can see any redeeming qualities. Maybe you just need to step away for some time? Turn it toward the wall. Maybe look at it with fresh eyes in 48 hours? What do you think?

This is lovely. It does have a lot of detail, I think that happens when we are sort of overwhelmed with the day. I think it will grow on you. We see good things.

But I have painted those same subjects several times before at this site, and it was nearly pea soup fog when we began. So I was drawn to a subtle vignette of the bright green and reddish plants against the gray fence that you see in the foreground. That's what I should have concentrated on, rather than the whole scene.
Well, Bartc, as far as I know, there's no rule saying that you can't do another version, concentrating on the part that first caught your eye! And if anyone complains, just wave your artistic license in their face! 😉

--Rich 👍

Back