Love me love my fruits ....

AiArts

Hello all, I always love to do life sketch/painting of my fruits or veggies from our kitchen. Today I did a combo of a persimmon + a banana. All done in directwatercolor. Today I painted the fruits first, then did the bkground last... the opposite process than my "Three musketeers peppers", posted the other day. It is about 8x10 inch in my sketchbook. Thanks for looking.
Sept30_2021_Persimmon_a.jpg

Sept30_2021_Persimmon_b.jpg

Sept30_2021_Persimmon_d.jpg

Sept30_2021_Persimmon_f.jpg

Wow that is so nice. Straight in with the paint, no underneath drawing? Is that with a waterbrush or traditional brushes + water? Perfect choice of (complementary?) color for the still life with yellow + purple. I'm just staring at the way that touch of light green has gone in the banana's shadow area and the little subtle texture touches for its skin 🤩

(I need to up my watercolor game hahaah)

Wow that is so nice. Straight in with the paint, no underneath drawing? Is that with a waterbrush or traditional brushes + water? Perfect choice of (complementary?) color for the still life with yellow + purple. I'm just staring at the way that touch of light green has gone in the banana's shadow area and the little subtle texture touches for its skin 🤩

Thanks for your kind words drizzlewither ... I use regular brushes and water... but I use kind of a bit good spring brushes, as I also draw with the brush in a way ... I have messed up from time to time... but it helps me to sketch fast, which is good in a certain sketching situation. You can see that I made my first photo with my first dab of banana too thick in the right side. So in subsequent step, I tried to put purple plate color to shave off the overthick yellow of the banana... this time, things came out OK .and I also done sketching from life on Wetcanvas (Scavenger Hunt) for more than 10 years... that should help me lots in observation ... so when I somewhat draw with paint brush, I have better chance to got it right or close to the real things....I am just have fun with any minute I can do art...I also know my materials quite well (unless I just start a new sketchbook): paints, brushes, sketchbook paper... or even humidity level. In Thailand, today it is rainy hard, so pretty humid... my wc will take longer to try (I dont use hair dryer)... so I have to adjust wait time or when to charge in new colors or new strokes.

Last edited:

Here is my humble home dining table wc sketch set up -- I repurpose one Crayola paint set. I refill them with Daniel Smith. There was a fountain pen but I did not use it today.

Sept30_2021_MyWC_HomeSketchSetUp.jpg

Ai, you really do well with the direct watercolor! Yay!!! Like sketching directly with ink I think it makes us more observant and thoughtful before we even add the color to the paper.

Great to see all your process shots, Ai - I envy your tidy table! Beautiful result. I love the balance you strike between chaos and control with your direct watercolour sketches.

Great to see all your process shots, Ai - I envy your tidy table! Beautiful result. I love the balance you strike between chaos and control with your direct watercolour sketches.
That was very insightful Triss. I really appreciate it.

Back