Longstock - Office in the Water Garden

Arnie

mini-Longstock.JPG

John Lewis the owner of these gardens used to run his business empire over the phone from this ‘office’. John Lewis is now part of the Waitrose group and they are maintaining the gardens as they were back in the 1900’s. I should have thought more about the composition before starting painting. It never quite recovered after rubbing out a section to get a second bridge in.

C&C Appreciated. Thanks for looking. Arnie

Watercolour: Sennelier/White Nights on Sandersons NOT 15x11 inches.

Nice softness in the background keeps it back where it belongs- you may wish to try trailing just a narrow scumble of your blue from in front of the hut back into that area- as if the water trailed off back there. I am missing your second bridge rub-out- although if it is where the background meets the mid-ground that now looks so misty- well done you! That is what that area needs- no real detail, no *things*, just suggestions.

Cool your water iris (flowers) left of the hut- they are pulling the eye trying to dominate- their shapes are *perfect*, they're just too light in value so are trying to diva it up looking for attention. Flowers- like people- do that to a scene.

Arnie, this is terrific- LOVELY colours in the water, and the various touches of colour-other-than-brown in the hut really work. The trees are lyrically lovely, and your control of values there gives it mysterious distance. Congratulations!

(You should put it into a frame and give it to the Company- and then take commissions from them for more....)

Nice softness in the background keeps it back where it belongs- you may wish to try trailing just a narrow scumble of your blue from in front of the hut back into that area- as if the water trailed off back there. I am missing your second bridge rub-out- although if it is where the background meets the mid-ground that now looks so misty- well done you! That is what that area needs- no real detail, no *things*, just suggestions.

Cool your water iris (flowers) left of the hut- they are pulling the eye trying to dominate- their shapes are *perfect*, they're just too light in value so are trying to diva it up looking for attention. Flowers- like people- do that to a scene.

Arnie, this is terrific- LOVELY colours in the water, and the various touches of colour-other-than-brown in the hut really work. The trees are lyrically lovely, and your control of values there gives it mysterious distance. Congratulations!

(You should put it into a frame and give it to the Company- and then take commissions from them for more....)
Thanks JStarr. Thanks also for the suggestions - will reduce the value on some of those flowers. The second bridge is now there, just that the foliage around it has taken a hit. Thanks for noticing the suggestions - its all about suggestion!

Thanks Jo, ntl and Ayin - much appreciated.

Lively and beautiful! I actually like those brighter pops of the flowers. Overall a serene and lovely feel to this. ❤️

Lively and beautiful! I actually like those brighter pops of the flowers. Overall a serene and lovely feel to this. ❤️
Yes I agree too, it brings the observer from bottom-right back to the office. If anything, it's a great retrieval method. Well done @Arnie .

You are on a roll, Arnie. This is a beauty and who wouldn't want to work from that office?

Back