Little Squirrel

Vivien

This is cross-posted from Wildlife & Animal October Challenge on Creative Spark. This is my first time opening a new Thread on this Site so hope I'm doing it correctly! (I'm from Wet Canvas)
I am fascinated by Squirrels, as there are no Squirrels in New Zealand and I've only seen pictures of them on the Internet or when we've been on holiday overseas - so I had to paint the Squirrel. I used PanPastels as I knew they would give me the lovely soft, fur, look I wanted, and I love using my PanPastels as there is very little dust from them while using them.
20cm x 30cm PanPastels on Grey Mi-Teintes paper

First Chg Animals Creative Spark.jpg

Very good to see your cheeky squirrel again, Viv. He is sweet. They are actually classed as vermin here as they took over after driving out the indigenous red squirrels from England. I believe there are still red squirrels in Scotland.

Such a good job, Vivien! You've captured the posture, and the way they tend to hold those little front paws.

Here is the USA we have squirrels everywhere, of various shades of gray, brown, even black. They can definitely be pests when they live in trees very close to houses. Away from houses, they tend to themselves and their little squirrel jobs and families. They are terrific jumpers and can be fun to watch.

Nice work! :)

If there are no squirrels in New Zealand what critters jump out in front of your car and then debate which way to go? This is really nice and as cute as any squirrel I've seen! I've never tried Pan Pastels but they worked so well for the soft, furry look.

If there are no squirrels in New Zealand what critters jump out in front of your car and then debate which way to go? This is really nice and as cute as any squirrel I've seen! I've never tried Pan Pastels but they worked so well for the soft, furry look.
That would be Possums, that jump out on to the roads and get killed by cars. They are a huge pest in New Zealand, and it sounds as if Squirrels are in other countries as well! Thanks Donna. I have a large range of Soft Pastels but mostly use my PanPastels a lot these days as you dont get the dust problems with them as you do with other soft pastels.

Such a good job, Vivien! You've captured the posture, and the way they tend to hold those little front paws.

Here is the USA we have squirrels everywhere, of various shades of gray, brown, even black. They can definitely be pests when they live in trees very close to houses. Away from houses, they tend to themselves and their little squirrel jobs and families. They are terrific jumpers and can be fun to watch.

Nice work! :)
Thank you Terri!

Lovely Vivien. I love the technique of this little guy. It's really well rendered. Good job. Yes, they can be pests here for sure, and chew the wires in your car even (like rats). I've had squirrels throw nuts at me from rooftops. :ROFLMAO:

He looks very cute.
In Germany we have red and dark brown squirrels. Some are living in my garden,because we have a walnut tree. They love to bury their nuts in the flowerbeds, because the earth is dug over there.

Esther

He's a little dandy. We have mostly gray squirrels here. Some red ones but not as many.

Great job on this little furry squirrel Vivien. Your soft application really adds to the furriness of this attentive little guy. Well done. ( We have an abundance of these lil guys where I live and amazing to watch them leap from branch to branch....sometimes what appears to be 6 to 10 feet at a time_

John :)

Back