Lithography Stone

musket

Inherited from my dad. Around 10" x 12". Don't know how old but from the style my guess would be late 19th to early 20th Century.
litho2.jpg

litho1.jpg

P1050180.JPG

P1050174.JPG

The print department in my Art School employed stones for lithography almost exclusively. They had literally hundreds of stones. I took one semester of Lithography but preferred intaglio and woodblock,

I'm a retired lithographer, so those represent some nice "litho history" to me. I never worked with litho stones, because I began working in the lithographic trade much after those were used. However, I did do some work with zinc, litho plates upon which I drew with a wax-ey crayon. That was in a "General Graphic Arts" class I took in college. Litho stones are fascinating, because of their incredibly smooth surface, and the skill that was involved in the application of the litho ink to them by highly-skilled artisans. Keep in mind that the application to the litho stone had to be REVERSED, because this was a form of DIRECT lithography, as compared to the "offset lithography" that we have today, in which the plate is right-reading, the impression on the "offset blanket" is reversed, and then......THAT image (ink) is transferred to the paper.

Back