Cowboy Portrait

ams

I haven't done a portrait in quite a while so I decided to give it a try.

I started with a freehand pencil sketch, then added the ink.

Micron 005 pen in XL Mix Media sketchbook, about 6.5" x 7.5"

20230916Sk8 Cowboy (WDE).png

A-yup, that's what they look like here.

Well-done; I can imagine meeting that person here, so there's a likeness to someone!

Reactions: ams
Really nice fit of hat on head—harder than it looks to make it as realistic as you have done. I wonder if using contour lines on the lips would be a plus? The top lip is nicely shaded with your cross hatching. The bottom lip looks flat to me. Overall, a very nice portrait, ink portraits can be challenging and you have done well.

Reactions: ams
Really nice fit of hat on head—harder than it looks to make it as realistic as you have done. I wonder if using contour lines on the lips would be a plus? The top lip is nicely shaded with your cross hatching. The bottom lip looks flat to me. Overall, a very nice portrait, ink portraits can be challenging and you have done well.
Thanks for the comments Scamall. I think you are right, the bottom lip should have been contour lines. I am definately still learning when to use which stroke.

It is a very nice portrait! I particularly like the look in his eyes. But, I think that it would be more effective if there was no line around the highlight in the eyes.

It is a very nice portrait! I particularly like the look in his eyes. But, I think that it would be more effective if there was no line around the highlight in the eyes.
Thanks Balaji. I will try it without the outline next time. This was my first try at a pen and ink portrait.

Back