Let's paint oils from life!

Grotius

Let’s paint from life! Post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, interiors, still lifes, — so long as your work is painted primarily from life. I know it’s cold outside, but we can still paint still lifes, portraits — and landscapes out the window. Four guidelines:

1. Please work primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created in the last few months, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

Haha just in time. I did one today! "Red, Yellow and Green Vegetables" - oil on 27 x 19 cm canvas panel.
95wOARe.jpeg

I always learn one or more things from doing it every time. It is so worth the effort!

Finally we have "Oils from Life" thread .. thank you Grotius for starting this and DM, for giving ideas and being supportive.🙌
DM, stunning piece! 💫 I like your "Red, Yellow and Green Vegetables" a lot!

The following is what I painted recently just before Halloween. I haven't posted it yet anywhere because it was the first one of the pumpkins I did/am still doing and I quite don't like it .. maybe it needs more work.
"Single Pumpkin", oil on canvas piece, about 25x25 cm.
21_0814_152907.jpg

DM, thank you! Your right I did learn and also learned what to avoid when doing more of this oil sketch series. 😊
Ntl, thanks! Nice to see you here.
Anne, thank you for stopping by and writing a comment!

It’s wonderful to see old friends in this thread! And what a great pair of paintings to kick things off with! It’s neat that they both feature veggies with autumn colors.

Dm7, those peppers are sumptuous! I’ve never painted a cut pepper, and now I must.

Moscatel, that is a delightful pumpkin! My first ever oil painting was of a pumpkin but it was terrible lol. Yours is much better!

I hope to post something soon, but after I started this thread, I had to drive to visit my ailing mom. She is an artist, and it is solely because of her that I paint. So I dedicate this thread in her honor!

Grotius, thank you for commenting on the pumpkin!
I'm so glad your mom is inspiration for you to paint and I'm sure taught you lot about painting when you were younger. It's nice that you dedicate this thread for her. God Bless!

I post here another pumpkin study wip that I'm slowly working on now. I need to paint next the silverware. I didn't spend that much time thinking on the setup, basically threw the things on the table and started painting. I'm working on other bigger painting too the same time so my pumpkin project is going more slow now. Surface is a self made board. I even "cooked" the gesso myself (you don't really cook it, only heat it). Oil on board, size: quite small approx. 18x22 cm. It doesn't have a name yet.
22_10830.jpg

22_20830.jpg

moscatel, that's a beauty! Wonderful composition, wonderful rendition. On the very far right on the real P, it looks like a "wedge". You've indicated that so well, adding to realism and roundness. Super! You make me want to get into my studio, so maybe I will soon. :)

Moscatel, looks like good observation and honest painting to me. 👍🏼👍🏼❤️
Here, the gardening season is rounding up for awhile so I think it’s time to set up some still life.

Good to hear from you Geoff.

Ntl, thanks! I hope you paint more, too. Also small studies are good to keep the habit going on.
P.Barrie, thanks! I think the same, it's time for still life.

Studio is calling! 🎨🎨

Hello! This is a great idea for a thread, and I can make it a sticky, but someone please tell me, who is Geoff? I don't know this person.

And Grotius, I guess you didn't introduce yourself in the welcome forum. Welcome aboard.

All the paintings here are inspiring.

Arty, please "sticky" it, could you! It would be the most helpful for us. I'm sure Grotius will come and explain himself who he is but he's now busy looking after his mom. Meanwhile we, me and DM, are "hosting" more here as much as we are able to.

Last edited:
Thread has been stuck! :)

Happy to see this thread, it seems like a great idea. Several beautiful paintings already, too! Wow!

DM7, your peppers are lovely. I love that quality of light behind the red pepper, just perfect! Very well done.

moscatel, your pumpkin(s) are both beautiful! I don't paint in oils nor do I do still life, so I am always appreciate at the lovely arrangements, lighting and rich colors that they give. Very well done!

Meanwhile we, me and DM, are "hosting" more here as much as we are able to.
Well, I think that is just awesome! :) Have fun with it, both of you! I really enjoy seeing your work.

It’s wonderful to see old friends in this thread! And what a great pair of paintings to kick things off with! It’s neat that they both feature veggies with autumn colors.

Dm7, those peppers are sumptuous! I’ve never painted a cut pepper, and now I must.

Moscatel, that is a delightful pumpkin! My first ever oil painting was of a pumpkin but it was terrible lol. Yours is much better!

I hope to post something soon, but after I started this thread, I had to drive to visit my ailing mom. She is an artist, and it is solely because of her that I paint. So I dedicate this thread in her honor!
Welcome to Creative Spark, Grotius! So nice to see this thread, and I have stickied it for you. Looks like you know a lot of our members, so this promises to be a fun and active thread.

I hope your mom gets better. ♥️

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Terri, thanks for commenting and thank you for "sticky"📌. I find this thread helpful because here I can post many works that I would never post anywhere because I might feel that they are not maybe that good to post. But here they are fine to post I think, they get more lost. Also any painting that is a little bit better I can x-post to their own forums like still life, plein air.

Back