Lesson in ink and watercolor

jmfletch

Was unsure whether to post here, ink forum or multi meda. Most of the work was in watercolor so water media won.
Watercolor is beginning to work for me. There are lots of mistakes and errors in this but I learned a lot and had fun.
1BD3D3B2-DBBC-4A04-B6FE-77934681D666.jpeg

Attachments

• C9B23F27-ECE4-4D77-B2FF-7C507F9B4BD3.jpeg
    C9B23F27-ECE4-4D77-B2FF-7C507F9B4BD3.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 36
This little frog is really good! I love the vivid colours and the ink lines, especially the vertical marks.

CaliAnn, NTL and Triduana -Thanks for taking time to commen5 and encourag.

NTL course is DrawAwesome. It is a year long course. It covers basics using 6 different media that switches to topics like Landscapes, Animals, Portraits etc . Mediums it covers are graphite, charcoal, ink, pastels, ink and watercolor and finally color pencils. I am on the ink and watercolor module. Each module is 4-5 lessons which are released weekly.

I like this frog! The colors are so lively and rich, and the ink shadows are effective in giving him some dimension. Watercolor and ink seem to belong together, don't they?
Did you mask the frog somehow when you spattered the paint?

This is lovely !
Cheers,
Patricia

Laika, EP, Joy and Patrica - Thanks for encouraging words. Truly appreciated.
Laika no masking. Just aimed for blank area with pretty good but not great result. Check the dark green and blue dots along edge of the back for the misses. Only 5 but goal was 0. 😎

He's a terrific frog! I love your palette and the pose here. The splatters are great additions to this fun piece.

I'm enjoying all the work you've been sharing with us from this class. Thank you!

Very nice! My brain interprets the spatters as bugs flying around. (Meals on Wings?)

--Rich
"So many colors, so little time!"

Terri, Rich 53, snoball and Artyczar - Appreciate you taking the time to comment and encourage. Means a lot to me. The biggest problem I have had with watercolor to date is the ‘water’ part but am beginning to get the hang of it.

Terri - Used what I have learned is a basic split palette and layered to get bright colors.

This came out so good. I think you have found your "color" medium to add to your sketches which are always so good. Applause!!

Superb frog and colours. Watercolour and ink always look great together.

Seems it's time for colour pencils :).
Nope we got a few more ink and watercolor lessons.Next lesson is quick architectural sketches but from photo. No more than 15-20 minutes total for both the ink sketch and washes. Goal is to capture the look and feel not the details. Drawing direct in ink will be a challenge for me. I typically use my eraser as much as my pencil. After that I think it is an ink and watercolor portrait.

Thanks Sylwia fir taking time to comment and encourage.

Last edited:
Wow! This is a very lively sketch. The colours and the inking make the frog pop. I love it.

Back