La Maison du Pastel

Love the video. I never thought I'd give up the sensuality of oil paints for pastels but I found I loved the almost fresco-like surface it could achieve... and like Degas, I loved the fact that it combined color with drawing.

I was lucky enough to see a show of Jean-Étienne Liotard's work in the Frick a good many years back. Both the paintings and the pastels were stunning. I especially loved his "Chocolate Girl":

3237-the-chocolate-girl-etienne-liotard.sm.600.jpg

siftingthepast.600.jpg

Liotard.700.jpg

Pastels start with the Rococo period that Liotard worked in... but the first artist to use pastels almost exclusively was Rosalba Carriera.
She created some splendid pastel portrait paintings:

Rosalba-Carriera-xx-Antoine-Watteau-xx-Museo-Civico-Luigi-Bailo.700.jpg

Major Rococo painters such as Boucher...

de91b8a5e5402269f43070446b8aa0cf.700.jpg

... and Chardin also used pastels a great deal.

24.med.jpg

However, IMO pastels really came into their own with the period of Impressionism and Post Impressionism... especially with Degas and Redon. The pastels of the Rococo period are not very much discernible from the paintings of the era. Degas and Redon take advantage of the aspects unique to pastels and experimented with various ways of applying the medium.

BeFunky_dega7750.small.jpg

joan-of-arc.600.jpg

Hermes,
I watched the video and it was cool about the cooking. I never knew pastels gave such a fine finish but I must agree with stlukesguild. I think Renoir is unmatched. It's the broken color that captivates me.

Terry Ludwig's pastels are not exactly what I would call cheap either. :giggle:

Back