June 2023 Watermedia Challenge

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
These photos are my photos. You are free to use them, crop, change, and paint from them. Join in the fun any time in June. Photos stay and can be used later, but hope you find a few minutes to paint, sketch, draw with us.

geraniums800.jpg

guy-hat800.jpg
horse-bites800.jpg
lake-reflections800.jpg
peppers.jpg
squirrel800.jpg
sunset800.jpg
train800.jpg
white-rooster800.jpg
yellow-cactus800.jpg

Very nice photos, Jo!

Lol, at least your painted pony comes with a warning; the one near me has bitten me sooo many times! He lures me to the fence by looking sad and lonely, then he strikes!

After seeing your peppers still life in the secondary colors I was all in to try it. Finished today 8x8 watercolor using Masters Touch paper and Daniel Smith paints. I did a crop from the bottom and omitted the rounded orange pumpkin? on the far right.
Title is Fiesta Peppers.
Fiesta Peppers.jpg

C&C welcome! Thanks, Jo.

Kay, gorgeous and fresh! Such clarity and brilliance! Do you glaze or do a color in "one go"? The fabric and the seeds on the pepper top, bottom right, are my fave parts.

Thanks! I try to do direct painting but if values aren’t correct I’ll do additional glazes. Those seeds are in one go.

wmc0623geranium.jpg

My drawing is far off, but wanted to post something. This is in a Canson Watercolor sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches, 140 lb. I also need to use my color charts for the shadow colors. I have one I made but lazy to use it. I'm a pastelist at heart.

Jo, I think it turned out better than you think. All that is needed is to add a light glaze of ultramarine blue to the shadow areas to cool them off and to deepen the value to darker.

Jo, beautiful references, thanks for hosting.

Kay, absolutely love this! The saturation of the colours really make this sing.

I drew this years ago but just lately had some prints made to play in the water, wash that is. It is the same reference though. Hope it’s okay as it’s mostly pen work but with the watercolour wash.

IMG_9748.jpeg

Back