Juan Pablo's Sketchbook

tinkertrain

Not long ago I got the urge to try watercolours for the first time (not counting the ones I used when I was 6 or 7 😆) and thought the idea of a sketchbook would be great, a place where I could paint without feeling any pressure that it had to be "good", just draw and paint with the added advantage to see the progress I was making.

My sketchbook's theme, if it has one is definitely travel and so all of the paintings are of places I've been to, sometimes I draw on the spot and then paint from a photo I take, some are fully done from photos (always my own) very few are drawn and painted on the spot.

The Menangerie, Coventry, UK

First watercolour! 😅
Painted and drawn from photo
DSC06621.jpg

These are all just marvelous tinker! Love all the buildings and the seafood plate is great too, thanks for posting all of them! :giggle: (y)

Yes, these are great. You really capture the aura of the different places. I know the Edinburgh scene. Behind the buildings is the Old Town. 😀

I love all of these and really like your painting style. Your lines are so perfect. When you say drawn on site and painted from photo, what does that mean exactly? I was just wondering. These are all so good. I would never be able to do lines that straight unless I used a ruler. My hands shake too much. These are all brilliant! Really.

What a great collection ! I think they are really good, and will be studying them for awhile.

The 'Market' is paticularly appealing to me.

I love all of these and really like your painting style. Your lines are so perfect. When you say drawn on site and painted from photo, what does that mean exactly? I was just wondering. These are all so good. I would never be able to do lines that straight unless I used a ruler. My hands shake too much. These are all brilliant! Really.

Thank you for your kind words! What I mean by drawing on site is that I'm at the spot looking at the scene and drawing from life, as if I was starting a plein air painting but just the drawing portion of the piece, to be honest I think the result would probably just be the same as doing it all from the photo, but I enjoy spending time looking at these beautiful places, paying attention to everything and in the end maybe get the scene imprinted in my memory so by the time I'm ready to paint it using the photo I can "correct" what it gives me according to my memory.

Since I view these as a mixture of practice and pleasure I try to put the least pressure on them I can and I like to try different things, for example in some of these I fasten my seat belt and draw directly with ink and that's kind of scary! On a lot of them I choose a primary palette of 3 colours, and use only those, you learn a lot about each pigment that way.

One unexpected fun thing that happened as I started these, is that when I didn't know what to paint I went through my old photos and chose from there, of course that meant that I spent 3 hours looking and reminiscing about those trips, another hour deciding on what to paint and no painting done that day 😅 That Edinburg photo was from 2005! And I think the Florence one too.

Back