John Demmer AKA john

Artyczar

Hi all! Sorry, it's been a while since we've posted a spotlight. I've been busy and/or out of town. But the good news is that we're back with an exciting new interview with John Demmer, who you have come to know as john. However, he's not just any "John;" he's also evolved into a very talented artist who has shared his transformations along the way. I, for one, have been more than impressed! He has a great sense of color, subject matter, and a playful imagination. I'm a fan and am happy to feature him here. It's fun to get to know our members better in this way, don't you think?

Okay, glad you agree. :) So, without further ado, here's our interview with John:

1. Hi John. Thanks for doing the Spotlight! First of all, where do you live and work? What's your last name?

Hi, my name is John Demmer. I live on the north shore of Long Island, New York. I'm honored to participate in this artist spotlight. This community has been very important for my development as an artist.

2. How did you begin making art in your life? Did you study it formally or informally?

It all started with a book—The Encyclopedia of Watercolor Techniques by Hazel Harrison. I was in a bookstore in the bargain bin. I was thinking I would give it to my sister. I wasn't an artist, and I was in my early forties. But I saw some paintings in it that I really liked and they didn't look that difficult to do, and it made me realize that painting is about technique. As a mechanic, this appealed to me. The next thing I knew, I joined the Wet Canvas forum and was following some instruction there on a couple of paintings. After finishing this one, I got pretty excited. I was shaking as I finished it. It's like I found some inner part of me that had been there undiscovered.

1716907785743.jpeg

Canoe in the Rapids after Winslow Homer. Watercolor

3. What mediums do you most like to work in?

I started with watercolor, then tried acrylics. Now, I mostly do oils. I find watercolor the most fun but oils let me really put down what I want. Acrylics confuse me.

4. Is your work planned, or does it come from emotion?

I would say they are mostly planned.

1717174526923.jpeg

Diamond in the Sky with Lucy, 2022. Watercolor, 16x20. (This was my first Sale.)

5. Where do you draw inspiration from?

I draw inspiration from other artists, from nature, and some small bit of something in my head.

6. Do you have any specific artistic influences?

I think Winslow Homer was the spark for me.

1717175068452.png

The Beach House, oil, 14x8 inches. (A local scene.)

7. Tell us about where you create. Do you have a room, studio, or garage?

I paint in my office. It goes from mess to neat and back again.

8. Outside of art, what do you do for fun?

I like outdoor stuff like biking, fishing, hiking, skiing, etc. And I enjoy listening to music. I guess one could say that I'm a nature boy. I studied environmental science in college.

1716909072030.png

Peconic Dream, acrylic and oil, 16x20.

9. What has been your most satisfying artistic accomplishment?

That's a tough one. It's a tie between the above painting (Peconic Dream) because it showed me something, and it got me an honorable mention at a juried art show.

Or maybe this oil painting (White House Road) because it showed me I could have some discipline for once. LOL!

1716909267755.jpeg

White House Road, oil, 16x20.

10. What are your art goals for the near future?

I would like to get back into painting. Summertime seems to distract me from it, as I end up doing so many other things. Some plein air would be nice because I can be outside and also paint. Oh but first I need to finish the one I'm working on. Almost forgot about that.

Lastly, do you have a website or social media site you'd like to share?

I have a website with some of my work, but I haven't updated it in years, and it's missing many of the recent oil paintings. I really should update it:

https://angjohn.wixsite.com/jdemmer

Thanks to all for the support, encouragement, and input.

It’s so nice to learn more about you, John, so thanks for sharing with us! I’ve always admired your artwork and now that I know you are a Homer fan I can see the influence. All of the paintings you’ve shown here are amazing; well-planned and yet very expressive at the same time. Peconic Dream is the one that I keep coming back to. There’s something so tranquil and soothing about it. Have a great summer!

Great interview John. Peconic Dream is very old school, dreamy, and full of travel space. Very special.
I do remember you from years gone by as we were both avid fishermen. Keep up the emotions and enjoy your art as it is and will be a great rest from some of life’s harder passages.

I'm so happy you did this interview, John! I've been a big fan and recognize some of your work here - but not all of it. The Beach House, White House Road both seem new to me - and are wonderful!! ❤️

I do hope you can find some time over the summer to get back to painting. Summertime does call us away outside, I know. I've enjoyed this interview very much, and will be excited to see what you do next.

It’s so nice to learn more about you, John, so thanks for sharing with us! I’ve always admired your artwork and now that I know you are a Homer fan I can see the influence. All of the paintings you’ve shown here are amazing; well-planned and yet very expressive at the same time. Peconic Dream is the one that I keep coming back to. There’s something so tranquil and soothing about it. Have a great summer!

Thanks Donna. "Well planned but expressive" Never thought of them that way but yeah I guess so. Thanks.

Peconic Dream started as a total abstract that my mother in law looked at and asked what it was supposed to be. I had no answer for her. So I painted that over it. So I have my mother in law to thank for it, proving that MILs aren't all bad. :)

Great interview John. Peconic Dream is very old school, dreamy, and full of travel space. Very special.
I do remember you from years gone by as we were both avid fishermen. Keep up the emotions and enjoy your art as it is and will be a great rest from some of life’s harder passages.

Thanks Wayne, Yeah we have been at this for a while now. You've always been an inspiration. Frankly you make me look really lazy. :)

I'm so happy you did this interview, John! I've been a big fan and recognize some of your work here - but not all of it. The Beach House, White House Road both seem new to me - and are wonderful!! ❤️

I do hope you can find some time over the summer to get back to painting. Summertime does call us away outside, I know. I've enjoyed this interview very much, and will be excited to see what you do next.

Thank you Terri. Really appreciate your contributions here. Being in this community has given me a reason to paint. Not sure if I would have done it otherwise.

I must say this has me a bit emotional. It's a thing. This art thing takes us over a bit. And it feels like we've done it together. All on some roller coaster ride. That's pretty cool.

And of course Ayin, I don't need to tell you......you rock. Thanks . :)

So fun to learn about you, John. I like your landscapes as they just "fit" with me. Your abstract watercolors are so different and found your website full of surprises. The iris is beautiful. Thanks for your story.

Thanks John! I once "rocked." :ROFLMAO: Now I look funny trying to. But I really appreciate your appreciation! ♥️

So nice to get better acquainted with you, John. I admire your work, it is very, very good. I agree with you that art is more of a skill than a talent. You've learned that skill well. Keep it up. (y)

So nice to get better acquainted with you, John. I admire your work, it is very, very good. I agree with you that art is more of a skill than a talent. You've learned that skill well. Keep it up. (y)

Sno you've encouraged me through the years and the learning. I appreciate it. Thank you. Like Ayin, you rock too! :)

So fun to learn about you, John. I like your landscapes as they just "fit" with me. Your abstract watercolors are so different and found your website full of surprises. The iris is beautiful. Thanks for your story.

Thanks Jo. Glad you enjoyed. The iris one was from trying to copy a painting from a book. Let's just say it was not an exact copy. :) I really want to get back to the abstract watercolor landscapes.

John, I was quite fascinated by your story and your work. White House Road is astonishingly excellent. The shadows, perspective, shape, and overall design is captivating. Greens are notoriously difficult; you handled them with ease!

And thanks to Ayin for another engrossing interview!

Back