Interactive Concrete Sculpture

Hermes2020

The progress reports I posted when I was making my concrete bird feeder were received quite well. Today I want to show my concept for an interactive sculpture, but I really don't want to outstay my welcome and risk boring too many people. So, please comment on this and I promise I will not be offended if there is overwhelming opposition to my logging my progress here.

I am still in the design stage and nowhere close to starting any physical work on it. Anyway, here are photorealistic renderings in Rhino 3D, the software I use to design and render sculptures in 3D. There will be a base and five loose organic dumbbell-like pieces that can be rearranged to create different configurations, almost like a game. To make it easy to handle, it will be smaller than my recent things; the overall height will be about 750 mm. I have included a mug as a scale reference in some of the renders.

Render 1.jpg

Render 2.jpg

Render 3.jpg

Render 5.jpg

I love when you log your progress here! Keep doing that. It's one of my favorite things! ♥️ This one is super interesting and I love the smooth aesthetic here. ♥️

Wow, I didn’t know that an interactive sculpture could be a thing! I would not be able to resist rearranging the pieces to try to make a shape that hasn’t yet been made.

Wow, I didn’t know that an interactive sculpture could be a thing! I would not be able to resist rearranging the pieces to try to make a shape that hasn’t yet been made.
I don't know where the idea came from. It just popped into my head one morning. Perhaps I need to seek help.

Hermes, pls keep it coming. This is great stuff. Very interesting indeed! Like your design, cool 3d rendering, cool seeing your method!

Hermes, pls keep it coming. This is great stuff. Very interesting indeed! Like your design, cool 3d rendering, cool seeing your method!
Thanks for the encouragement, I will post the steps when I get round to making it. I first want to finish two paintings and do some experiments with the camshaft. Yes, photorealistic renders are a fun way to explore ideas.

Agree with the others - please keep posting your progress. I think it's fascinating! I love these renditions so far, though I get you're still in the conceptual phase.

Keep it coming! :)

Agree with the others - please keep posting your progress. I think it's fascinating! I love these renditions so far, though I get you're still in the conceptual phase.

Keep it coming! :)
Thank you Terri. I am using the latest version of Rhino 3D , Rhino 8, to do almost 100% of my work. In the old days I had to use other programs to do renders, but Rhino's rendering engine has improved so much that I can do the whole process seamlessly in the same environment. In it, I can do organic modelling as well as parametric modelling to precisions of small fractions of a millimetre, which suits my controlling nature to a T.

Back