Inspiration in Unexpected Places

Hermes2020

I got a pleasant surprise when I happened to look at the underside of the mould for the right leg of my bird feeder sculpture. The pieces of foam board that make up the mould form a completely unplanned (but not random) design that reminded me of some of Ben Nicholson’s work.

1.jpg

Here are some zoomed in areas.

2.jpg

3.jpg

The edges have an interesting texture.

4.jpg

It's that completely unplanned part that is the bugger, isn't it?

Each of those photo'd-shapes would make amazing work if whacked off in the appropriate size and shape and mounted, perhaps spray painted, perhaps not, and hung on a wall, for a viewing distance of about ten feet away. Dunno if you can do that again- it's that 'random/unplanned' part that is at work here.

But, now you have a next project to unconsciously consider, right?

It's that completely unplanned part that is the bugger, isn't it?

Each of those photo'd-shapes would make amazing work if whacked off in the appropriate size and shape and mounted, perhaps spray painted, perhaps not, and hung on a wall, for a viewing distance of about ten feet away. Dunno if you can do that again- it's that 'random/unplanned' part that is at work here.

But, now you have a next project to unconsciously consider, right?
Yes, it is completely the accidental by-product of my sculpture moulding process. I am thinking one could also pour concrete onto the parts and create bas-relief sculpture panels, similar to the ceilings Eduardo Paolozzi did for Cleish Castle.

I am thinking one could also pour concrete onto the parts and create bas-relief sculpture panels, similar to the ceilings Eduardo Paolozzi did for Cleish Castle.
Sounds a good project.

But get this one done, first. ;)

So cool!! ❤️ Sounds like you won't be wasting a single piece from your bird feeder sculpture. These are terrific cutouts pieces!

like it .. with some color would make awesome pieces
this is true, it would be interesting to make it a multiply layer and paint under it digitally or use select tool to fill areas with color esp with the textured sides, just some ideas, it is interesting to look at as is

Back